You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-26 10:24:12

Bobonov

ESD does not start at bootup

The situation is this
Untill now I used the system by console and started X when I needed it and esd just before X.
Now I decided to switch to run level 5 so I need to start esd at bootup otherwise it is not able to lock /dev/dsp.
But at bootup it doeas not find /dev/dsp !!! (my sound card is installed and work propelly)
So I gott back to level 3 with esd at boot up, It still not find /dev/dsp but if I login (I am in console mode ) and I manually start it
/etc/rc.d/esd start
everithing get fine.....
Any suggestion?

#2 2003-09-26 11:02:43

farphel
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: ESD does not start at bootup

I recall that in other distros (RH comes to mind) I used to edit /etc/inittab to control which runlevel to enter after boot.  3 was console, 5 was X.

However, with Arch when I decied I wanted to try out Gnome all I did was add gdm to my DAEMONS entry in /etc/rc.conf.  My /etc/inittab still shows runlevel 3 as my default.  I believe the difference is you are expecting a SYSV-ilke startup where there are different runlevels.  I believe Arch uses more of BSD-like startup where booting is controlled by specific rc scripts.

I don't know this definitively, but you could try my setup to see if that helps.  It will probably work if you're using gdm/kdm.  If you're using regular xdm, you may need to whip up your own startup script in /etc/rc.d and add it to your DAEMONS entry in /etc/rc.conf.

FYI, my DAEMONS entry looks like:

DAEMONS=(pcmcia !inetd network crond sshd exim esd fam !cups mailtunnel gdm)

Hope that helps,
farphel

Follow the link below, sign up, and accept one promotional offer.  If I can get five suckers (err... friends) to do this, I'll get a free iPod.  Then you too can try to get a free iPod. Thanks! http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=11363142

#3 2003-09-26 14:16:41

Bobonov

may be my post was not so clear.
I do not have problem at all in starting in run level 3 or 5 either.
So lets try again
Normally I start my computer  in rl 3
When I need to work with X at first I start esd then X, otherwise if the desktop (gnome, kde etc etc.) goes up it lock /dev/dsp and esd is not able to start

I decided to move to RL 5 so I have to start esd at bootup to avoid the above problem.
I put esd in rc.conf but it complain about that /dev/dsp is not present.
So I got back to RL 3 (may it help) but esd still does not start at bootup with the same error.

Suggestion??
P.S. for  farphel
I took a look at your post, the correct way to start gdm is to change init tab as follow

#
# /etc/inittab
#

#  Runlevels:
#  0    Halt
#  1(S) Single-user
#  2    Not used
#  3    Multi-user
#  4    Not used
#  5    X11
#  6    Reboot

# original run level is 3 text mode
#id:3:initdefault:
# change it to 5
id:5:initdefault:

rc::sysinit:/etc/rc.sysinit
rs:S1:wait:/etc/rc.single
rm:2345:wait:/etc/rc.multi
rh:06:wait:/etc/rc.shutdown
su:S:wait:/sbin/sulogin -p

c1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/1 linux
c2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/2 linux
c3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/3 linux
c4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/4 linux
c5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/5 linux
c6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 vc/6 linux

ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

#what to do in run level 5????
#xdm is the default login manager, personally I prefer gdm
#x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon
# I am not sure about -noademon for gdm but anyway does not cause problem
x:5:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/gdm -nodaemon

#4 2003-09-26 15:17:24

sarah31
Website

it sounds like your sound settings must be coming up AFTER rc.conf is executed. so i wonder in which way you have your sound set to come up. if your are setting it up via rc.local then i suggest rearraging it to come up via settings in devfsd.conf and rc.conf.

i am not sure of the order of execution but i think devfsd.conf is started before rc.conf  and in rc.conf the modules array is executed before the daemons array.

just speculating though.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#5 2003-09-26 15:35:07

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

It might be that your sound card needs initialization and that starting in runlevel 5 doesn't give it enough time to start up, whereas when you take the time to login and then type 'esd' and then type 'startx' the machine has had enough time to start the sound drivers.  This is a similar problem with pcmcia.  Sarah's suggestion is the right one.  Try to get the sound drivers loaded earlier, that might fix the load problem.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#6 2003-09-26 16:26:45

marin_linuxer
Website

farphel wrote:

FYI, my DAEMONS entry looks like:

DAEMONS=(pcmcia !inetd network crond sshd exim esd fam !cups mailtunnel gdm)

Hey farphel, I've done a bit of experimenting with the DAEMONS ordering and I notice you've !banged-out 'inetd' which is a requirement for 'fam', ...which also needs 'portmap'.  Don't know if that is intentional, but, I believe 'fam' wont start without it.

HTH.

-- Linux!  Isn't it time?

#7 2003-09-29 11:28:56

Bobonov

Problem solved, thanks Sarha.
I was nearly to reply you that I already moved the sound moduel from rc.local to rc.conf, it was one of the first idea to came up to my mind.
But I realized that I had the idea but I didn't do that!!  :oops:

Board footer