You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-04 18:00:08

saft

Problems with WICD and battery after suspend.

I've been having some problems after suspending.

I use xfce as my desktop environment, and have the xfce power manager set up so that when I close my lid while running on battery power, it suspends.

After resuming from suspend, I cannot connect to my wireless router. I do not have a static route set up (I've been having trouble doing so with the airport extreme my flatmate has), and I have tried with both automatic and dhcpd boxes checked in the wicd config gui. I get an error along the lines of "failed to obtain IP address."

Also after resuming, my xfce battery monitor gets stuck at 100%, and when I run acpi, it tells me the same thing. This is quite worrying as there's been a few times that the battery has cut out while I can still hear the hard drive spinning.

The machine is a brand new Sony Vaio W-Series netbook, custom build from their online shop. I can't find any information about it in the arch wiki or forums, or anywhere else really, presumable because it's a new(ish) model. It runs x86_64 very well, which I gather is quite rare in a netbook.

Any help on these two issues would be greatly appreciated. If my posting of config files would help, then I'm more than happy to do so.

I'm also interested in a few Vaio-specific modules which I can't locate, as I haven't managed to get adjustable screen brightness working yet - if anyone can help me out with that, it would be great.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Last edited by saft (2010-03-04 18:01:26)

#2 2010-03-07 12:20:53

saft

Re: Problems with WICD and battery after suspend.

I hate to be one of those people, but I'd like to bump this thread.

Someone has suggested to me that the kernel may not yet support some of the laptop's power functions, and that I should try the new one in testing. I'm not entirely sure how to do that, and I can't find any wiki pages instructing me how to.

I still have no idea regarding wicd; could it be another symptom of the same problem?

#3 2010-03-16 17:07:21

saft

suspend to ram, wicd, and acpi and screen brightness now work perfectly after installing the new kernel and gnome.

I've tried tuxonice for hibernate, following the wiki instructions, but I can't get it to work.

The only outstanding issues are the SD card reader and the sony memory stick pro duo slots. If anyone has any tips for getting these working I would be grateful, as I notice on the sony compatibility pages in the wiki that there's very little success with this.

I notice that I haven't posted the laptop model, which is VPCW21C5E. smile

#4 2010-04-07 15:57:48

saft

Having used Arch for some time now, I've followed some of the wiki guides slightly more knowledgeably and I've got hibernate and suspend working smile I've also managed to set up cpu frequency scaling and the hard drive is spinning down nicely when running off of the battery. If I was unable to get this to work, I was going to try the new ubuntu release at the end of this month, so I suppose this is just in the nick of time.

After a few full system upgrades, the SD card reader is working flawlessly, but I can't find any information on getting the MemoryStick reader working. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Board footer