You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-07 18:10:27

Xi0N
Website

System on IDE or SATA Disk

Well... the thing is that i just got myself an internal SATA 2Tb disk that i will use for data storaging (obviously)
So, i will make my current 300Gb SATA disk external and, instead, use a IDE 80Gb one as swap, root and boot....

My question is: Since the swap partition will be in an iDE disk, will it decrease the performance considerably?
My other solution is, maybe, put the swap partition on a 4Gb partition on the 2Tb SATA disk - The objective of all this is read as few as possible from the IDE one and leave the heavy file handling to the SATA one..........
How would you configure this setup?

Another question is: Is there any tool for benchmarking the hard disks? - I want to check the speeds they reach....

Thanks!!

#2 2010-04-07 20:02:22

112percent
Website

Re: System on IDE or SATA Disk

This depends on how often your system is swapping. How much RAM do you have? How frequently is your system requiring Swap space. If this is often then you would benefit from having the Swap on the SATA drive as it is generally faster. If you hardly ever go into the Swap then that problem will probably not make too much difference.

Byron

#3 2010-04-07 20:56:30

Xi0N
Website

Re: System on IDE or SATA Disk

Well... the computer has 2 Gb RAM.... its quite "new"... dual core 64 bit..... 6000+
What i am a bit afraid is about when i need to extract some downloaded movie, for example...... then is when the system uses to hang up a bit...... but nothing longer than 5 minutes........
I think is worth it because i think having those partitions on a 300Gb disk, when they dont require more than 30 is a real waste........
Even using 20 of those 80Gb already seems a waste still.....

Anyway, i think i will stick to the 80 Gb disk, and if someday i feel it is too slow, i can resize the home partition and make it 4Gb smaller and use the swap from there.

Thanks for your help!

Board footer