You are not logged in.

#26 2009-02-17 13:13:22

kjon

Re: I won the struggle against hal and policykit

I prefer sed 's/,/|/' big_smile

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#27 2009-02-17 14:34:53

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

Ok, if it works fine don't touch it tongue
I was just reporting it wasn't working completely well for me and the suggested fix smile

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#28 2009-02-20 19:12:10

naguz

I hav had this problem since yesterday, and have some questions:

1: What the hell has happened? Is it a bug, a missing feature, is it supposed to do this way
2: Why does this happen? Ie. what has changed since before, when being in the storage group was enough?
3: I refuse to believe that having to create custom scripts and launc them at startup and whatnot, supposed to be needed to get maounting with hal work "the way it should". Is there no good&clean way to simply tell hal that all the users in the "storage" group are allowed to mount devices? For now I'll just put my username in the PolicyKit-file in my laptop, and not update hal on my box.

This is.. well. Not very good.

red: At lest there should be an alternative to add groups, direvtly in the file, not just users.

Last edited by naguz (2009-02-20 19:14:42)

#29 2009-02-20 20:19:28

kjon

naguz, let me introduce you policykit. I really **hate it**, so we are in the very same wagon.

There are a lot of approaches to solve this issue. I just created a custom script cause I have a lot of users on the comp's lab which I admin (I was as frustrated as you, and I wanted to recover usability from storage and power groups back). If you have a few users, you might want to add them on a tiny list on PolicyKit.conf. However, this won't work when users > 500 big_smile

cheers!

They say that if you play a Win cd backward you hear satanic messages. That's nothing! 'cause if you play it forwards, it installs windows.

#30 2009-02-21 14:25:58

naguz

Well, there are one user on my laptop and two on my on mo box, so I it isn't a problem. It's just so not-the-right-way to do it, tongue
That thy choose XML is really bad enough, but not adding support for groups is really way beyond me. I just can't understand what the "right way" to do it is supposed to be. But as someone pinted out, probably via a gui, when you look at the way to configure things.

#31 2009-02-21 17:13:04

R00KIE
Forum Fellow

GUI is bad, really bad (although more pleasing), things will get far too hard to configure when you start relying in GUIs to do the dirty work for you. It is not the Arch way as I see it. I have started to like Arch so much is because configs were so easy to manage and understand with simple text config files .... xml makes a mess of that ... not that arch's developers are to blame for that, it just seems to be the current trend to use xml for everything (along with other bad mistakes like this one ... how on hearth could they forget to include groups support ????).

R00KIE
Tm90aGluZyB0byBzZWUgaGVyZSwgbW92ZSBhbG9uZy4K

#32 2009-02-21 22:23:19

naguz

Well, I am afraid it is becoming/will become a trend that stuff uses more and more non-KISS ways to configure things, because "everyone" uses fancy gui tools from ubuntu anyway. It seems strange that this should apply to underlying systems such as HAL, though. But if anyone knows where to post to tell the HAL developers that they are stupid and should get themselves straightened out, do tell. I'm sure they will listen to me. Err..

#33 2009-02-21 23:28:42

Devastator

Thanks for this thread - it helped me to resolve the problem (at least I learned which files I should edit big_smile)

R00KIE wrote:

GUI is bad, really bad (although more pleasing), things will get far too hard to configure when you start relying in GUIs to do the dirty work for you. It is not the Arch way as I see it. I have started to like Arch so much is because configs were so easy to manage and understand with simple text config files .... xml makes a mess of that ... not that arch's developers are to blame for that, it just seems to be the current trend to use xml for everything (along with other bad mistakes like this one ... how on hearth could they forget to include groups support ????).

A lack of support for groups is a shame, though I don't think XML's are that bad... as far as vim hilights their syntax wink

Some applications are WYSIWYG, and some are WYSIWTF.

#34 2009-02-27 16:15:08

psyodin

i want to apologize for my late reply had some things come up. anyway today i was able to read this thread and jacko you got it, i had to put my username in place of $wheel and $power in policykit.conf     . thanks again to everyone

nigel

download>install>configure>enjoy, arch tastes good

#35 2009-02-28 18:41:44

lidewei

I followed this how-to but somehow seem to have borked my arch installation while doing so, because I cannot use my mouse and keyboard anymore. I undid the changes (put back the backup I made from PolicyKit.conf, deleted polkitparser from /etc/rc.conf and deleted /etc/rc.d/polkitparser) but that didn't help. How can I get my mouse and keyboard to work again?
[never mind, I fixed it]

Last edited by lidewei (2009-02-28 19:32:15)

#36 2009-03-01 12:59:54

naguz

This does not work for memory cards, I just discovered. How do i add that?
"org.freedesktop.hal.storage.mount-removable" should, in my head, cover memory cards as well, but it seems it does not. The documentation seems to be a bit lacking, at best.

My other computer running gnome has no problems at all. How does Gnome handle this PolicyShit?

#37 2009-03-01 15:41:01

Kardell

I have the same problem. The solution didn't help for me. I usually have had problems with this kde gui hal automounting thing after updates. Pmount and own scripts never failed me. :->

"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." Edmund Burke

#38 2009-03-04 16:27:37

sirocco

kjon wrote:

(1) Create /etc/Policykit/Policykit.conf as follows
(2) Create /etc/rc.d/polkitparser and chmod +x it

(3) Add polkitparser to your DAEMONS list on rc.conf *before* hal.

This sequence work with login manager.
But when I login without X and then run startxfce4 - not mounting neither poweroff works.

#39 2009-03-04 17:09:29

kjon

sure it won't work!

you need to type on the command line 'startx'. (the ck-connector needs to be executed too -- look at the modification made at startx)

#40 2009-09-22 17:21:40

czar82

tnx a lot!!!

i try all the solution on the wiki, but only this works!!!

#41 2009-10-07 20:03:26

Ellipsys

Bumping this back to the top. I am having the same problem as lidewai - How did you fix your install so HAL will initialize again?  Can someone provide a base policykit as I deleted mine in the process, if that's necessary to get things running again?

#42 2009-10-25 12:35:18

KaBooFa

You saved my Life,

Thanks

#43 2009-11-08 15:01:44

ezzetabi

Arguably the script is more comprensible as:

#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions

case "$1" in
    start)
        stat_busy "Parsing groups for policykit handling"
        export storage_users=$(</etc/group sed -ne '/^storage:/ s_.*:__p' | sed -e 's.,.|.g')
        export power_users=$(</etc/group sed -ne '/^power:/ s_.*:__p' | sed -e 's.,.|.g')
        stat_done
        ;;
    *)
        echo "usage: $0 {start}"
        ;;
esac

exit 0

just 2 cents.

thanks for the original idea!

edit: typo.

edit 2: Well, it did not work. But I found yet another solution:

Rename the /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf (that contains what kjon says) to /etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf.orig and changes the script to:

#!/bin/bash

. /etc/rc.conf
. /etc/rc.d/functions

case "$1" in
    start)
        stat_busy "Parsing groups for policykit handling"
        export storage_users=$(</etc/group sed -ne '/^storage:/ s_.*:__p' | sed -e 's.,.|.g')
        export power_users=$(</etc/group sed -ne '/^power:/ s_.*:__p' | sed -e 's.,.|.g')

</etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf.orig \
        sed -e 's $storage_users '"$storage_users"' '  -e 's $power_users '"$power_users"' ' \
        >/etc/PolicyKit/PolicyKit.conf

stat_done
        ;;
    *)
        echo "usage: $0 {start}"
        ;;
esac

exit 0

So the script when executed makes an correct PolicyKit file with the expected contents!

n.b. I used the space to separate the sed values as I am pretty sure user names cannot contain spaces... Can they?

Last edited by ezzetabi (2009-11-08 15:38:37)

#44 2010-04-09 07:14:21

mei205013

Thank you for sharing the post,it is very useful,I often has the same problem.

Board footer