You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-06 11:34:51

podosinovik

X switching among >2 keyboard layouts with LRU?

Hello. Here is the problem.

I use most of the time us(colemak) and ru(base) layouts. But sometimes i need to switch to us(qwerty) ( when the user is my bro for next ten minutes or something ).
So if i would use grp:*_toggle method for switching layouts i would need to switch through us(qwerty) when i just want to switch us(colemak) and ru(bare) forth and back.
Is there any options for switching a la windows alt+tab, when there is LRU or something mech used?

I looked through base.lst file and find nothing that resembles that behaviour in description at least.

#2 2010-04-06 12:53:07

tlvb
Website

Re: X switching among >2 keyboard layouts with LRU?

If you use a window manager with user definable keybinds you should be able to map an arbitrary combo to eg some setxkbmap call. Stating what wm you use could help here. I am sure that there also is 'lower level' wm independent ways of doing it, but I don't know those very well.

I need a sorted list of all random numbers, so that I can retrieve a suitable one later with a binary search instead of having to iterate through the generation process every time.

#3 2010-04-06 13:38:35

davvil

I tested something like this (via fvwm). The problem then is that the keybindngs do not work any more, specially if you change to a cyrillic layout, like the OP. Now I use xmonad and I think you can specify keycodes directly, which should solve the problem (and makes the config unreadable wink), but I have not investigated much in this direction.

#4 2010-04-06 18:34:59

podosinovik

Well, i did try at lowlevel ) Editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Just to mention i use awesome wm.

Maybe there is the way to solve my promblem editing symbol files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/, but that seems to much to investigate into. Hoped to see there is a more convenient solution. At least there is always possibility to patch xbk sources )))

#5 2010-04-06 20:41:18

Leonid.I

podosinovik wrote:

Well, i did try at lowlevel ) Editing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Just to mention i use awesome wm.

Maybe there is the way to solve my promblem editing symbol files in /usr/share/X11/xkb/, but that seems to much to investigate into. Hoped to see there is a more convenient solution. At least there is always possibility to patch xbk sources )))

In general, you shouldn't do this through xorg.conf. I guess a proper way to approach the problem is to use HAL, at least that is how I switch between us and ru. Have you seen
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Set … out_Dvorak
and
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#6 2010-04-07 05:01:16

podosinovik

Of course )
But there is no difference in layout switching, they both use same driver and same logical options and IMHO HAL xml syntax is ugly.

#7 2010-04-07 16:04:00

Leonid.I

podosinovik wrote:

But there is no difference in layout switching, they both use same driver and same logical options and IMHO HAL xml syntax is ugly.

And it does not work? Strange... Anyway, what I meant is something like this:
http://blogs.sun.com/sunwg11nprg/entry/ … _using_hal

<merge key="input.x11_options.XkbLayout" type="string">us,us</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.XkbVariant" type="string">colemak,qwerty</merge>
<merge key="input.x11_options.XkbOptions" type="string">grp:shifts_toggle</merge>

Note the 3rd string. And as you said, the variants are in base.lst.

Or do I completely misunderstand you? hmm

Arch Linux is more than just GNU/Linux -- it's an adventure
pkill -9 systemd

#8 2010-04-10 08:40:15

podosinovik

Leonid.I - well, yes.
The problem is not in switching layouts - it's ok, but rather is about handy switching when there is more than two layouts.

Board footer