You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-16 11:54:54

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

custom kernel compile sound module insertion errors

i have compiled three 2.6.11 kernels, -cko1, -cko2 and -nitro1

when i start them i have the same problems with all three.   i get errors about some of my sound modules not being able to be inserted in to the kernel but it's critical and i have to hard reboot with errors scrolling by at light speed.  i !'ed out the sound modules in MODULES and !'ed hotplug and rebooted and did a manual modprobe:

[root] : modprobe snd-intel8x0
WARNING: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.11-cko1/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_timer (/lib/modules/2.6.11-cko1/kernel/sound/core/snd-timer.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_pcm (/lib/modules/2.6.11-cko1/kernel/sound/core/snd-pcm.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_mixer_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.11-cko1/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-mixer-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)FATAL: Error inserting snd_pcm_oss (/lib/modules/2.6.11-cko1/kernel/sound/core/oss/snd-pcm-oss.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
WARNING: Error inserting snd_ac97_codec (/lib/modules/2.6.11-cko1/kernel/sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
FATAL: Error inserting snd_intel8x0 (/lib/modules/2.6.11-cko1/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

[root] : dmesg
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_mmap_data
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_devices
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_oss_info_register
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_param_value_min
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_build_linear_format
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_param_mask
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_kmalloc_strdup
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_format_signed
snd_pcm_oss: Unknown symbol snd_pcm_hw_constraints_complete
snd_ac97_codec: Unknown symbol snd_info_register
snd_intel8x0: Unknown symbol snd_ac97_pcm_close

the ... means it goes on for 12 pages withmore of the same but different symbols.

All my other modules work fine, it is just the sound.  Any suggestions please?

in desperation i tried the default kernel sound configs from arch rather than my custom ones, still no joy

#2 2005-03-17 02:22:46

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: custom kernel compile sound module insertion errors

maybe - i'll check it out...

make clean bzImage modules || return 1 
  mkdir -p $startdir/pkg/{lib/modules,boot} 
  make INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$startdir/pkg modules_install || return 1 

That should cover it right?  What do you mean by vermagic?

#3 2005-03-20 12:05:41

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

i still have this issue with every kernel i build - i'm sure the config and PKGBUILD are ok - i have no idea what the prob is!  help me!  i'm begging!

#4 2005-03-21 04:08:15

skoal
Website

dibble, when you load up your kernel, what does `modinfo soundcore.ko` say?

Do you even have '/lib/modules/2.6.x/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko`?

If so, what happens if you load this module first then the others after that manually with 'modprove -v'?

It sounds to me like your not compiling a specific module for your i810 integrated sound.

#5 2005-03-21 05:27:48

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

well, that owuld seem to make sense but i have used the default sound configs from the stock kernel, that kernel works fine.  I'll try that tho skoal - i have my laptop with me today too smile

#6 2005-03-21 08:51:57

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

skoal - you are the man.  Here's the deal

modprobe -v soundcore
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11-cko2/kernel/sound/soundcore.ko

all ok - loads fine

the next one the rest depend on is snd:

modprobe -v snd

insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11-cko2/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko device_mode=0666
FATAL: Error inserting snd (/lib/modules/2.6.11-cko2/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)[/code]

so - that's the error - have seen it before in my ok kernels when hotplug starts
[code]snd - unknown arguement deviice_mode[/code]
or something

is it udev doing it?  It's only this modules it seems.  I can load the module correctly with
[code]insmod /lib/modules/2.6.11-cko2/kernel/sound/core/snd.ko[/code]

and then if i start hotplug all the others load themselves fine - thanks for the hint that set me on the right track - now it is fixed but what the fsck is wrong?

#7 2005-03-22 07:40:56

dtw
Forum Fellow
Website

fixed it.

It was due to alsa 1.0.7 putting an option for snd in modprobe.conf that was obviously incompatible with my kernels surprise, surprise it was to do with device_mode.

I reran alsaconf after upgrading to 1.0.8 and it has fixed itself.

It might be worth adding a bit about rerunning alsaconf to the alsa install script?

Board footer