You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-08 23:05:30

Vryali

Wireless hangs shortly after connecting.

Heylo, sorry for the newbness, but I'm hoping this is something simple and stupid, but it's certainly been infuriating to try to work through.  Everything worked properly initially.  I'm running Arch with XFCE as a desktop environment.  I was using networkd to do basic wired connections and when I wanted to do wireless I'd kill dhcpcd, iwconfig wlan0 ESSID "<name>", dhcpcd wlan0, and be off to the races.  The college I teach at is MAC filtering only, so it hasn't been a big issue, and initially my house was as well.  I realized one day that doing WPA2 isn't so easy and tried setting up my house for WPA2 and then using wpa2_supplicant to connect.  After many hours of fiddling and fat fingering I was able to connect, but it would hang (not disconnect, just hang) and I couldn't do anything.  Ping would go for a bit, maybe 15-30 seconds, then just stop responding, I could browse the web for a few seconds, then the same thing there, couldn't shake it.

Eventually I decided to give up for now and put it back on MAC filtering with nothing special keywise and it hasn't been able to stay connected.  I get the same problem I did before of it hanging after < 1min.  I tried using WICD to see if i'd have any more luck and even put it back on WPA and got it to connect through WICD, but the hangups continue.

Again, I'm hoping this is just something stupid I did somewhere trying to make wpa2_supplicant work properly, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is and would like some help ; ; Note that wired connections work perfectly, it's just wireless that's giving me problems, and I haven't been able to test the wireless connection at school as this week is spring break (but before I began fiddling, it worked normally at home, so...)  I do have other computers here working fine wirelessly, it's just my laptop.

Thanks for any help!  I'm sorry for the lack of information, but I'm not sure what all would be helpful to post initially.  Please let me know if I can run anything useful and capture/post output or dig up a log that'd help.

#2 2010-04-11 14:09:07

Vryali

Re: Wireless hangs shortly after connecting.

Bumpity, should I post this elsewhere?  Either another section here or another site?

Board footer