You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-11 23:20:04

Vicfred

Keyboard problems in gnome

When I log to gnome the keyboard starts to behave very bad, when I enter my password everything is fine but when I log in my keys work as the Fn key was always on but if I don't log in to gnome it works fine (but it if I kill gnome it doesn't return to work fine) What do I have to do get my keyboard working again?

#2 2010-04-12 00:24:24

Mektub

Re: Keyboard problems in gnome

Vicfred wrote:

When I log to gnome the keyboard starts to behave very bad, when I enter my password everything is fine but when I log in my keys work as the Fn key was always on but if I don't log in to gnome it works fine (but it if I kill gnome it doesn't return to work fine) What do I have to do get my keyboard working again?

I had the same symptoms in two different laptops. It was like if the Fn key was stuck.

I am not really using the gnome DE, I just use a window manager, in this case icewm. But I did start
gnome-settings-daemon on icewm startup file.

Commenting out gnome-settings-daemon stopped the weird keyboard behavior.

So I started gconf-editor (is in extra) and did quite blindly untick anything related to keys or function keys.

So f.e. in apps -> gnome-settings-daemon -> plugins -> a11y-keyboard and unticked "active".

This takes a while, and is quite a dumb solution since at the end I don't know what solved the problem,
but it was solved.

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

Board footer