You are not logged in.

#1 2003-09-26 22:47:15

_JeffG_
Website

Arch Linux Minumum Base

Is there a way I could get a list of the most minimum packages required to run an Arch Linux system.

Naturally If I want to run an X app I need X.  But, I want to know what consists of the most minimal arch install.

Reason being is I want to make an arch linux base for FreeBSD's compat layer.  Since I compile my FreeBSD systems with the same /similar optimizations as Arch Linux does. I think it would make a better fit than the RH7 default system.

Basically, I my end result will be a FreeBSD Desktop that can do the following:

Run Linux applications and have those Linux applications managed by the Linux tools.  FreeBSD uses RH7 as their default base and they rpm install the base system.  Many of the Linux ports in FreeBSD ports tree grab the RH7 rpms.   But.  I would love to be able to from my FreeBSD box do pacman -S acroread or whatever and have it grab the Arch packages and install them to Linux compat location.   

This is strictly a runtime environment.  I do not want to be generating Linux code via the compat layer.  Just run stuff.

Thus, I want ports to manage my FreeBSD packages.  But I want pacman to manage my Linux stuff.  I think ports should not manage Linux stuff on a FreeBSD box.

So, is there anybody willing to give me that list or point me to the right source to look it up. 

Jeff - who happened to switch his box back to FreeBSD just because he was bored and yes I trashed a perfectly working Arch install.

#2 2003-09-26 23:03:29

_JeffG_
Website

Re: Arch Linux Minumum Base

I feel like an idiot now.  I found my answer.  I need to first install the base category.  However, I need to automate this.

On the arch linux ftp site all the packages are lumped into one directory.   Not separated by category.

For now I will look at the linux_base port and make a list based on that.  Then install the arch specific stuff like pacman.   

I think once I get the initial base laid out I can then chroot to that and run total linux commands...  like this:

frontier# uname -srm
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p7 i386
frontier# chroot /usr/compat/linux /bin/sh
sh-2.04# uname -srm
Linux 2.4.2 i386
sh-2.04# exit
exit
frontier#

Jeff

#3 2003-09-27 02:01:53

sarah31
Website

um why not make a copy of the arch 0.5 base iso.

btw all tha packages may be in one directory but it is the /setup directory that controls the display of the packages in groups.

like i say download and mount the base iso and you can get all answers you need there i would think. i easily created a base plus package set for installing the i586 test packages.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#4 2003-09-27 03:23:34

_JeffG_
Website

It appears that Arch Linux is too new to use it entirely as a base for FreeBSD linux compat.  So, I am going to see what I can do with the existing base maybe strip out stuff.  Dont know.  Just playing.

Jeff

Board footer