You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-17 02:46:33

skoal
Website

Middle mouse in Browser = /dev/random

This has been a strange issue for me ever since I've used Linux.  Why does the middle mouse button take you to "la la" land in a browser?  There's no apparent rhyme or reason to where it will take you either...

#2 2005-03-17 03:03:29

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

Re: Middle mouse in Browser = /dev/random

in firefox, unless you disable it, it pastes a url and "go"s to it...

the about:config setting is middlemouse.contentLoadURL - set it to false

#3 2005-03-17 03:16:34

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

there's two clipboards in Unix. If you select text, its automatically copied to a clipboard. If you middle click, then its automatically copied from the clipboard. As phrakture says, middle clicking copies the url to the browser.

Dusty

#4 2005-03-17 03:34:21

skoal
Website

Hmm.  I guess you guys logic seems sound.  However, by accident I just mid clicked in these Arch forums and it took me to "vbulletin"(?) website.  I don't have a clue what that is, never been there, and never copied/pasted any such thing.  However, sometimes I do get "the URL is not valid and cannot be loaded" when I mid-click.  Other times, in another window, it will load something completely weird and nothing I've ever copied/pasted.  Are you sure it doesn't have something to do with 'context switching' to a similiar URL you are currently in?  That's the only trend I've noticed and might explain why I was sent to 'vbulletin' while in the Arch forums.

Whether it was Netscape, Mozilla, or even Firefox, I never could quite figure out where the mid mouse button would take me when accidentally hitting it for the last 7 years of Linux use.

* The good thing is I know how to disable it now in firefox.  Thanks.  I'll try that out or reassign it to something useful, like a quicklink to Arch forums...

#5 2005-03-17 03:44:56

skoal
Website

weird...

just an update.  I think I know what you guys are getting at now.  Just for kicks, I did a random search on google.  I hilighted some text, like "extension" and then mid-clicked.  It took me to http://filext.com/ .  I don't know what that site is but it does relate to the word "extension" I hilighted.

weird...

anyway, say goodbye my little mid click mouse friend.  Your 'ass is grass' and 'about:config' is the lawnmower....beyotch...

Board footer