You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-13 06:26:03

simba

[SOLVED] Problem with browsing

Hi smile
I have a strange problem.
I can browse almost any site but for some sites it fails to open the page especially when logging in or sending data through the web-form.
Browser tries to update page and it takes 5-10 minutes or longer. After that it shows me a white screen or message like "Connection closed by remote host". When I enter my account at gmail, it shows this error. Sometimes it even offers me to download a php-file smile
I've got Opera, Firefox and Epiphany. They are all act like that.
I don't use proxy, I have java installed.

What can be a problem? And where can I find logs or something to catch the error?

P.S. Excuse me for possible mistakes in English.

Last edited by simba (2010-04-14 05:09:16)

#2 2010-04-13 16:43:33

Slurp53

Re: [SOLVED] Problem with browsing

Sound like an internet connection problem to me.  Have you tried pinging google and see what the the response time is?  Maybe run a speed test on your internet connection.  They are all over the internet.  Try a text mode browser like lynx, links, elinks.  Maybe try one of the text mode browsers with your xserver off.  What's your CPU load look like?  Have you got something spinning out of control you don't know about?  Just a couple of things to try off the top of my head.  smile:)

#3 2010-04-13 23:12:07

davidm

As suggested I would focus on system or network level problems at this point since it happens with multiple browsers and you are sure no proxy is configured on your end.  Try doing traceroutes and pings.  Monitor system resource usage.  Also check your router if you are using one.  Perhaps even your modem as well if you are using one.  Start with the easiest things and work from there.  You may also wish to try a proxt to see if the problem occurs over the proxy as well.

Side thought here, is it possible your host is using something like a "transparent" proxy?

#4 2010-04-14 02:11:23

simba

Thanks for your answers smile

Hmm.. I don't think the problem is on the low level. Pings are Ok. Gnome proxy is disabled and there's no other.
I can freely browse ALL sites and even write here but can't upload avatar for example. It hangs sad

It seems some functions are disabled. Maybe HTTPS or AJAX or something.
Ok, I will try lynx. May be it's more talkative than Firefox.

I have Windows 7 as the second OS and everything works there. So router is not suspected. Something's wrong with Linux.
Windows XP installed under VirtualBox have the same symptoms as Linux.

#5 2010-04-14 05:06:58

simba

Well, the problem seems to be clear.
I use VPN(PPTP) to connect to most sites.
It must be configured wrong...

P.S. Arch is the best!!!

Board footer