You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-14 14:52:45

Garfunkel

Is it just me or is Arch Awesome?

Been an Arch user for a few months now. I recently started converting my desktop over to Arch from Ubuntu and all I can say is that thus far the experience has been utterly faultless. Everything... just... freaking... works. For a distro that's supposed to be a bit manual and stuff, it's just so kickass and simple. Heck, the first machine I installed this on was my laptop (asus m51sn) a little while back and I was expecting to have to install drivers for my webcam and stuff. It just worked right out of the box. Brilliant. The only thing that doesn't work for me is my laptop tv tuner (but no linux distro does unfortunately).

For example, setting up Apache properly on Arch took me what... 2 minutes and it works first time. SSI and everything just worked, which surprised me. On Ubuntu I struggled for a day or two, and even then it wasn't perfect. Your wiki is excellent and covers lots of cool little things without being overly detailed. Your beginners guide especially is most excellent.

Arch starts up fast without any errors or garble on the screen during boot (which is nice, I couldn't give a crap about splash screens that just make things buggy - ubuntu). It's rock stable, and your packages are of better quality than Ubuntu's I'd say. And pacman is pretty sweet (and damn snappy!).

I'm so happy that I think this is now my main desktop and I'll just keep ubuntu for the packages that I don't want polluting my nice clean Arch system (like 32bit libs to run wine). I've always found that no matter what distro I use, Ubuntu draws me back in for some reason. I think that might finally be broken.

Anyway, that's it essentially, you guys are awesome. smile

#2 2010-04-14 15:04:01

hokasch

Re: Is it just me or is Arch Awesome?

Arch's superiority has been proven over and over again.

#3 2010-04-14 15:15:55

Skripka

No one around here likes Arch.  It is just a fad.

#4 2010-04-14 15:22:29

SanskritFritz
Website

hokasch wrote:

Arch's superiority has been proven over and over again.

Yup that is one hilarious thread. Bored with arch too...

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#5 2010-04-14 19:39:54

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

arch is the least crappy distro i know

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

#6 2010-04-15 03:14:17

Daemonjax

Arch's been my favorite distro for old laptops and my new netbook.  It's been rock solid stable on both.  A close 2nd is tinycore, which is what I use when I have to install linux on a friend's PC because it's the easiest to fix when something goes horribly wrong... Archlinux kinda requires you to know what you're doing most of the time. big_smile

Board footer