You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-14 06:21:32

plutus

daemons

hi,

here is my list of daemons in rc.conf
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng !network netfs crond hal dbus gdm @alsa networkmanager @acpid @cpufreqd @laptop-mode)

is it ok or should I add/remove something? the boot is not very fast...

I run Arch on a laptop. The only thing I tried to change is hal --> @hal but in this case I could not wake up the wifi card!(unless it's already activated on boot)

#2 2010-04-14 07:15:22

SanskritFritz
Website

Re: daemons

That list looks good. What you could try is compiling the zen kernel, and use tuxonice to hibernate instead of shutdown. Post here if you need more help with that.

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#3 2010-04-14 09:45:49

demian

You probably don't need syslog-ng, netfs and crond. Also, HAL loads dbus and acpid so you don't need to - actually you shouldn't - load acpid and dbus explicitly. The login manager should be at the end of the DAEMONS line. I'd also rather use the modules acpi-cpufreq and cpufreq-ondemand instead of the DAEMON cpufreqd.

This is what i would use in your stead:

rc.conf
MODULES=(acpi-cpufreq cpufreq-ondemand)
[...]
DAEMONS=(@alsa hal @networkmanager @laptop-mode gdm)

rc.local
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

If you feel like your boot process is slow you should check the arch wiki and google. There's much documentation on how to speed up your boot process (or system for that matter).
I usually speed up my boot process by editing inittab and rc.sysinit as well as replacing /lib/udev/load-modules.sh with a symlink to /sbin/modprobe but you should really read into it before messing with the boot process.
Using /etc/inittab to login instead of a login manager _might_ also save some time. I don't have any info on this one since i've never used a login manager in arch.

Regards,
demian

P.S.: Consider buying an Intel SSD for your laptop. It's a perfect upgrade and speeds up a lot of things the least of all is boot process.

Last edited by demian (2010-04-14 10:33:59)

no place like /home
github

#4 2010-04-14 19:49:34

plutus

SanskritFritz wrote:

That list looks good. What you could try is compiling the zen kernel, and use tuxonice to hibernate instead of shutdown. Post here if you need more help with that.

help is needed, absolutely!! big_smile

#5 2010-04-14 19:50:20

plutus

demian wrote:
rc.conf
MODULES=(acpi-cpufreq cpufreq-ondemand)
[...]
DAEMONS=(@alsa hal @networkmanager @laptop-mode gdm)

rc.local
echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

I'll give a try! thanks...

#6 2010-04-14 20:02:20

thestinger
Package Maintainer (PM)

crond runs some important scripts in /etc/cron.daily and /etc/cron.hourly so you might not want to disable it unless you know what you're doing

same with syslog-ng - logging is quite important

#7 2010-04-15 15:05:28

SanskritFritz
Website

plutus wrote:
SanskritFritz wrote:

help is needed, absolutely!! big_smile

Append this to /etc/pacman.conf:

[xyne-any]
Server=http://xyne.archlinux.ca/repos/any

then install bauerbill.

installing the zen kernel:

sudo bauerbill -S --aur kernel26-zen

takes some time ;-)

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst

title  Arch Linux (-zen)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz26-zen root=/dev/sda3 ro vga=791
initrd /boot/kernel26-zen.img

Now you will be able to hibernate to disk.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2010-04-15 15:05:58)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#8 2010-04-15 15:59:45

evr
Arch Linux f@h Team Member

thestinger wrote:

crond runs some important scripts in /etc/cron.daily and /etc/cron.hourly so you might not want to disable it unless you know what you're doing

same with syslog-ng - logging is quite important

agreed, i wouldn't get rid of those two either...

#9 2010-04-15 17:40:23

demian

True. Still, albeit useful those two daemons are not necessary.
If it's only about speed you can use the following solution as a compromise (found it in the forums here and edited a little to fit your needs):

rc.local:
( sleep 10
  . /etc/rc.conf
  for daemon in ${DAEMONS_WAIT[@]}; do
    /etc/rc.d/$daemon start &> /dev/tty12
  done
) &

rc.conf
DAEMONS=(hal gdm)
DAEMONS_WAIT=(@syslog-ng @crond @alsa @networkmanager @laptop-mode)

This way only the two really necessary daemons hal and gdm get loaded at boot time. The other daemons (as specified in the array DAEMONS_WAIT) get loaded 10 seconds after that. You might want to reduce that value.

Regards,
demian

P.S.: Regarding my previous post where i recommended acpi-cpufreq and cpufreq-ondemand: You should have a look at this wiki page. Turns out you don't need the entry in rc.local. Instead you need to install cpufrequtils, add cpufreq to the DAEMONS array in rc.conf and edit /etc/conf.d/cpufreq to your liking.

Last edited by demian (2010-04-15 20:40:59)

no place like /home
github

Board footer