You are not logged in.

#1 2010-03-21 09:54:54

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

What packages required for 3D nouveau?

Hi all, I read the previous thread at http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=91111 but the advise was conflicting.

I just want to test out nouveau, and realize the [extra]/[testing] drivers don't have 3D yet (just tried them out then re-installed nvidia). I suppose I'd need the nouveau-dri-git package from the AUR? Which of the following do I also need from git?
- nouveau-drm (I'm pretty sure needed)
- xf86-video-nouveau-git (probably also needed)
- mesa-git (this one I'm not sure)
- libgl/libdrm-git (also not sure)

Anyone has advise?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-03-21 10:05:33

flamelab

Re: What packages required for 3D nouveau?

mesa provides libgl/nouveau-dri
libdrm is different than libgl, don't confuse them.

You probably need:

kernel26-nouveau-git, which has the staging driver patches
nouveau-drm --> I'm not sure about this package, I guess it provides firmware files for the kernel.
xf86-video-nouveau-git --> SURELLY needed
libdrm-git with nouveau experimental api --> yes
mesa-[libgl/nouveau-dri]-git with Gallium3D nouveau --> SURELLY needed
xorg-server-git --> needed for newest dri2 API (with dri2proto-git and other dependencies).

I've tested Nouveau on (yes...) Ubuntu 10.04, and it works with 3D. But it's very slow (10 times slower at least on demanding OpenGL apps, Compiz should work) and I guess there is no VA-API/VDPAU implementation for Gallium3D drivers.

Last edited by flamelab (2010-03-21 10:06:32)

#3 2010-03-21 12:48:34

neubauten84

I'd like to test nouveau 3d too, but I have some problem on connecting to git repository..is there anything broken?
The package I try to compile with yaourt is libdrm-git, but also trying with kernel26-nouveau-git I found some difficulties...

#4 2010-03-21 15:07:52

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

flamelab wrote:

mesa provides libgl/nouveau-dri
libdrm is different than libgl, don't confuse them.

You probably need:

kernel26-nouveau-git, which has the staging driver patches
nouveau-drm --> I'm not sure about this package, I guess it provides firmware files for the kernel.
xf86-video-nouveau-git --> SURELLY needed
libdrm-git with nouveau experimental api --> yes
mesa-[libgl/nouveau-dri]-git with Gallium3D nouveau --> SURELLY needed
xorg-server-git --> needed for newest dri2 API (with dri2proto-git and other dependencies).

I've tested Nouveau on (yes...) Ubuntu 10.04, and it works with 3D. But it's very slow (10 times slower at least on demanding OpenGL apps, Compiz should work) and I guess there is no VA-API/VDPAU implementation for Gallium3D drivers.

Is there not a way to use it WITHOUT kernel26-nouveau-git? I use specialized kernels for audio work, and am not looking forward to trying to merge various patches to a kernel just for testing nouveau.

Also, your comment on nouveau-drm can't be right, it provides the actual .ko files (the modules needed), unless the kernel26 builds those modules in. I was under the impression nouveau-drm meant we could do away with kernel26-nouveau-git. Or perhaps nouveau-dri provides the .ko modules as well? Meaning its a replacement for drm?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-03-21 16:44:52

ataraxia

My nouveau-drm-git package builds just the nouveau .ko files from the same tree as kernel26-nouveau-git.

#6 2010-03-21 17:15:28

tavianator
Website

ataraxia wrote:

My nouveau-drm-git package builds just the nouveau .ko files from the same tree as kernel26-nouveau-git.

Still, the initial 400MB checkout might be a bit much.  nouveau-drm-snapshot will eat way less bandwidth, though it could be as much as a day behind current git.

EDIT:  Regarding the OP, this is what I do to have working 3D acceleration:
- libdrm-git, dri2proto-git, and glproto-git from the AUR
- A split mesa-git PKGBUILD I wrote, http://pastebin.com/7bvrX10x (install mesa-git, libgl-git, and nouveau-dri-git).  This includes the nouveau_vieux 3D driver for older cards.
- kernel26-nouveau-git, although nouveau-drm-snapshot or -git would work just as well.  Alternatively, the nouveau-drm from testing is new enough to work.

I don't run a git X server because it's a big pain to build, but there may be benefits to doing that also.

If nouveau-dri-git is too unstable, you can avoid installing it system-wide while still using it for selected apps by running "LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/path/to/mesa-git/pkg/nouveau-dri-git/usr/lib/xorg/modules/dri/ glxgears" for example.

Last edited by tavianator (2010-03-21 17:23:23)

#7 2010-03-22 06:55:43

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

See, that's where I'm confused, the number of different packages recommended by different people smile.

So far I guess kernel26-nouveau-git and nouveau-drm-git are interchangeable, generally.

Also libdrm-git seems for sure to be needed.

Mesa-git (with its dependencies dri2proto-git and glproto-git) seems required.

tavianator, your split package confuses me, building mesa-git as well as the rest. Any reason why libgl-git and nouveau-dri-git shouldn't be built separately? Or is it just that they're all from the same git source?

#8 2010-03-22 12:29:38

flamelab

mesa,libgl,nouveau-dri (and all *-dri packages) come from the exact same source.

#9 2010-03-22 15:02:42

tavianator
Website

ngoonee wrote:

tavianator, your split package confuses me, building mesa-git as well as the rest. Any reason why libgl-git and nouveau-dri-git shouldn't be built separately? Or is it just that they're all from the same git source?

It's exactly that they're all from the same git source, and I like to avoid downloading the same 100MB repo three times whenever I can smile.  Also, that's how mesa is built for the official repos, and in fact my PKGBUILD is based on Arch's.  If you don't need the other *-dri's, you can save build time if you remove them from the pkgname array, and change the ./configure line to only build nouveau (--with-dri-drivers=swrast,nouveau and --enable-gallium-nouveau are the important flags for building nouveau 3D).

#10 2010-03-22 16:07:57

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Thanks, will be trying that out soon.

#11 2010-03-23 07:22:46

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Tried it out. nouveau-drm doesn't build against my custom kernels. Actually nouveau-drm-git doesn't even build against 2.6.33-ARCH for me, it seems the PKGBUILD sources against the 2.6.34 kernel sources, which I can imagine wouldn't work.

Won't be able to try again for a while, real life and all that.

#12 2010-03-23 16:57:18

tavianator
Website

Well I've made nouveau-drm-git build the module for every kernel it finds.  Also if a build fails it just moves on to the next kernel.  I'm not surprised it won't build against your kernels though; they just merged in 2.6.34-rc2.

#13 2010-03-25 16:58:58

shining
Pacman Developer

I covered the possible breakage caused by 2.6.34-rc2 in nouveau news :
http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki

Either create a nouveau drm snapshot from sunday or try to revert the mentioned patch.

pacman roulette : pacman -S $(pacman -Slq | LANG=C sort -R | head -n $((RANDOM % 10)))

#14 2010-04-16 16:05:54

Berseker

i can confirm that with 2.6.34-rc4 and most of the packages here suggested, I have a working system with nouveau + gallium 3d. The performances compared to the closed driver are quite bad (almost half) but I'm happy to see how far this project has gone. I'm using it these last days, I think I'm going to upgrade the following packages on almost daily basis to see the improvements

nouveau-dri-git 20100416-1 [installed] (23)
xf86-video-nouveau-git 20100416-1 [0,24 MB]
libgl-git 20100416-1 [5,09 MB]
nouveau-drm-git 20100416-1 [1,30 MB]
libdrm-git 20100416-1 [0,52 MB]
mesa-git 20100416-1 [5,07 MB]
lib32-libdrm-git 20100414-1 [0,16 MB] (lib32)
lib32-libgl-git 20100414-1 [0,45 MB] (lib32)
lib32-mesa-git 20100414-1 [0,54 MB] (lib32)
kernel26-rc 2.6.34rc4-1 [73,46 MB] (base)

lib32 libs are for google-earth roll
my card is a GeForce 8600m GT

Last edited by Berseker (2010-04-16 16:09:21)

Board footer