You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-15 13:06:52

mintcoffee
Website

[SOLVED] Controlling MPD volume with PulseAudio

I decided to reluctantly switch over the PulseAudio in order to support the use of my Bluetooth stereo headphones. However, I have a problem where I can't change the output for MPD because MPD doesn't show up in my PulseAudio volume settings (through pavucontrol). I assume this is because it is running through the mpd user. So does anyone know of a way to get mpd to expose its volume settings?

EDIT: Solved by making mpd start through the local user in mpd.conf. It works well for 1-person systems.

Last edited by mintcoffee (2010-04-16 18:35:00)

Arch on a Thinkpad T400s

#2 2010-04-15 15:04:32

bharani

Re: [SOLVED] Controlling MPD volume with PulseAudio

Do you mean to increase/decrease mpd's volume.
You can use mpc for it.

Tamil is my mother tongue.

#3 2010-04-15 15:52:22

Nepherte

Did you recompile mpd to include pulseaudio support? The package from [extra] doesn't have this.

#4 2010-04-15 16:32:31

mintcoffee
Website

Yep, I'm using the mpd-pulse package in the AUR, and using the "pulse" output in mpd.conf.

I guess I wasn't clear in my original post. I want to be able to use PulseAudio's volume control to change the output from say, my internal sound card to my USB headset or my Bluetooth headphones on-the-fly. Normally, applications using PulseAudio would show up in the volume control, however, mpd doesn't. My guess is that it's running under the mpd user so it's not visible in my PulseAudio volume control since it's running under my own user.

I guess I can try changing mpd to use my local user instead of the mpd user. However, it's a bit of a pain when upgrading the package since the /var/log/mpd.log and /var/run/mpd/* is chown to mpd and I'll have to change it back to my local user everytime...

Arch on a Thinkpad T400s

#5 2010-04-15 22:48:15

Nepherte

mintcoffee wrote:

However, it's a bit of a pain when upgrading the package since the /var/log/mpd.log and /var/run/mpd/* is chown to mpd and I'll have to change it back to my local user everytime...

that or you use user specific files. Something like this:

playlist_directory              "~/.mpd/playlists"
db_file                         "/~/.mpd/mpd.db"
log_file                        "~/.mpd/mpd.log"
error_file                      "~/.mpd/mpd.error"

Simply create empty files for everyting listed above.

#6 2010-04-16 18:33:56

mintcoffee
Website

ah never thought of just creating the files in my own directory. That is a great solution that works across updates. Thanks!

Arch on a Thinkpad T400s

Board footer