You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-12 15:34:38

pyther
Website

[Solved]Motherboard (D945GCLF) refuses to boot mbr on specific drive

I got a dead bizarre problem. I have 2x 250GB hard drives, one is slightly older (maybe a year than the other). The drive that is currently in the system is making a low pitched buzzing/humming type of noise which I know isn't a good sign.

Needless to say I copied all my data over to the 'spare' 250GB drive and installed grub on it. However, this motherboard refuses to boot from the disk. I get please insert boot disk and press enter.

For the hell of it I decided to see if qemu could boot the drive and sure enough it did. So the MBR is on the drive, but for some reason the system just doesn't like this particular drive.

The BIOS detects the drive and it is the only bootable device in this system. I've blanked the mbr, recreating the partitions and reinstalling grub with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm at a lost!

Last edited by pyther (2010-04-16 19:30:20)

Website - Blog - arch-home
Arch User since March 2005

#2 2010-04-13 03:08:34

lagagnon
Website

Re: [Solved]Motherboard (D945GCLF) refuses to boot mbr on specific drive

Is that a SATA or IDE drive? If IDE do you have the jumper set correctly? If it is a WD drive make sure jumper set for "SINGLE". If none of the works burn the Super Grub CD and try and set up and boot grub from the drive with that CD.

Philosophy is looking for a black cat in a dark room. Metaphysics is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there. Religion is looking for a black cat in a dark room that isn't there and shouting "I found it!". Science is looking for a black cat in a dark room with a flashlight.

#3 2010-04-13 12:41:46

pyther
Website

The drive is a sata drive. I don't have a cdrom drive in this machine, but it can boot the archlinux install usb image without a problem. I'm going to clearing the CMOS and see what happens later today.

#4 2010-04-16 19:30:08

pyther
Website

I forgot that the boarded needed the bootable partition flagged as "bootable." Stupid stupid board!

Board footer