You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-17 00:27:13

cian

devkit-disks-probe-ata-smart causes HSM Violations on SSD

I've just experienced the same problem identified on this Ubuntu bug report:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour … mments=all.

It seems to be a general Linux kernel problem, and there are reports of it on Arch. Is a solution on the way?

My SSD started playing up, first exhibiting bad sector errors, then suddenly becoming read only as I was using it and finally refusing to mount when I booted complaining about a possible zero length partition. It also manifested the same problems described in this bug report when I booted up. Fortunately its the drive where I have my home partition, so its recoverable (not sure about the data in it, but there's nothing I can't afford to lose, even if I'd prefer not to).

I'm running Toofishes' patched eee kernel on an Asus 900. I'm fairly up to date (a week out at most). Is there a fix already in pacman, or do I try and apply this patch to my Arch system somehow? If so, how exactly. I'm okay with modifying the file, though I think its in a different place, but I'm a bit worried about it being overwritten by future updates.

Also, any ideas for recovering the drive, or restoring it. Writing 0s all over it seems a little drastic, and I'd prefer not to lose my home drive if I can.

Board footer