You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-17 19:07:51

oldmerovingian

Random Kernel Panics

Since I have tried Arch, I have had random kernel panics from 2.6.31 to the current 2.6.33.  I doubt it is a memory problem, as Ubuntu was running just fine before.  It still does.  I have asked for help in the irc channel, and I feel I have done all I can there as well.  Here is all I know.

First of all, I thought it may be the ati driver, but no one else is having the same issues, nor does the kernel panic happen on Ubuntu with the same drivers.  I thought it may be flash related, so I removed flash and that didnt help either.  I then thought it could be related to compiz or desktop effects, and I now use openbox without them.  It continues to happen.  Further, I thought the system may be overheating or the processor may be overloaded somehow, but Conky shows everything to be fine.

The real problem here is there is nothing worthwhile in the logs!  I even added debug and debug_locks_verbose=1 to the kernel line to see if it would record anything else out of place.  Neither did anything.  I am really running out of ideas here, and it is disappointing because Arch is my favorite distribution!  So what I need to know now is:

Should, or rather, can I try to figure out what may be causing this another way?  Is there any way of finding out the source of a kernel panic that I am missing?

If not, will compiling my own kernel resolve the issue?  If so, what would be the best way?  Keep in mind I have no experience with this and it would be all new to me.

Any help anyone can give me would be great as I am really not sure what to do now.

Thanks!

#2 2010-04-17 20:47:34

tavianator
Website

Re: Random Kernel Panics

Well, a panic doesn't get reported to the logs.  But a lot of useful information gets dumped to the screen -- can you paste it here, or take a picture or something?

#3 2010-04-18 01:12:36

gaunt

Does this machine, by any chance, have a wireless card?  I've been getting some random freezes that seem to come and go with heavy upgrades, and some Googling points to wifi drivers as possible culprits.

#4 2010-04-18 08:08:53

oldmerovingian

tavianator wrote:

Well, a panic doesn't get reported to the logs.  But a lot of useful information gets dumped to the screen -- can you paste it here, or take a picture or something?

Well this kernel panic is not happening during the boot up, but after the computer has been on a while.  Sometimes an entire day.  I was able to get it to panic while having the console up, but nothing was printed to the screen.

Does this machine, by any chance, have a wireless card?  I've been getting some random freezes that seem to come and go with heavy upgrades, and some Googling points to wifi drivers as possible culprits.

It does have a wireless card, and I saw some posts about this same thing.  However, wouldn't it act the same way with other distributions?  It seems limited to Fedora and Arch of the numerous ones I have tried.  I may try to plug in a cat 5 cable and let it run without wireless to see if it will panic.

#5 2010-04-18 19:10:00

tavianator
Website

oldmerovingian wrote:

Well this kernel panic is not happening during the boot up, but after the computer has been on a while.  Sometimes an entire day.  I was able to get it to panic while having the console up, but nothing was printed to the screen.

Um, then how do you know it's a kernel panic?  Kernel panics generally dump a fair bit out to the console, and your caps lock will flash.  If your computer just hangs, it's more likely a hang or deadlock in the kernel than a panic.

Try disabling devices and modules (as gaunt suggested, wireless may be a good place to start) to narrow it down.  Also, if you're using KMS, try disabling it.

#6 2010-04-18 22:01:18

oldmerovingian

tavianator wrote:
oldmerovingian wrote:

Um, then how do you know it's a kernel panic?  Kernel panics generally dump a fair bit out to the console, and your caps lock will flash.  If your computer just hangs, it's more likely a hang or deadlock in the kernel than a panic.

Try disabling devices and modules (as gaunt suggested, wireless may be a good place to start) to narrow it down.  Also, if you're using KMS, try disabling it.

When it freezes, the caps lock and num lock blink and no keys will do anything. KMS is disabled, I suppose I can try wireless but if that is the case, I can't really use Arch. It's a laptop and I need the wireless to work.

Board footer