You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-19 00:55:36

Athanasius
Website

Some noob questions regarding conversion from Ubuntu

I have been having great difficulty installing Arch on my laptop but I want to go from Ubuntu to Arch on my desktop and I have a question about fstab.

I am not sure about the fstab file.  This is what I have in Ubuntu but I know that the 2009.8 version of Arch uses a different thing, the older way and I like it better because the uuid way doesn't make sense to me.   

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
# for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
# devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# / was on /dev/sda3 during installation
UUID=e2d9de14-9f11-48b8-80b4-4bc607bc259a /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /home was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=672e8d24-f92b-491e-bcd6-f11ad6302359 /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=f51700ad-d325-4c45-aa79-6ce1eff75633 none            swap    sw              0       0

I also have an additional sata hard drive that I use to occasionally back up the primary and I want to be able to have it visible as a drive but only mounted when I want to access it (I think policykit takes care of that in Ubuntu)  I had installed Debian last year and was unable to access the drive so I don't want that problem again.

#2 2010-04-19 01:04:00

demian

Re: Some noob questions regarding conversion from Ubuntu

What's your question?

no place like /home
github

#3 2010-04-19 01:09:38

Athanasius
Website

Oh, sorry, I guess the question is will fstab detect the other harddrive or do I have to add something to the file in order for it to see the drive?

#4 2010-04-19 01:13:55

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

The fstab file is to specify options for when you mount a partition. It doesn't automatically update itself. cool

Last edited by cesura (2010-04-19 01:14:11)

#5 2010-04-19 01:20:58

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Athanasius wrote:

I have been having great difficulty installing Arch on my laptop...
...because the uuid way doesn't make sense to me.   
...will fstab detect the other harddrive or do I have to add something to the file in order for it to see the drive?

Are you sure you are ready for Arch?

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2010-04-19 01:27:34

Athanasius
Website

I will just dual-boot, so I will see.  I wasn't ready when I began linux in the first place but I was forced to learn by experience.  Thanks anyways.

#7 2010-04-20 09:07:20

demian

UUID is just a safe way to identify a partition. I've had problems with UUIDs too on more than one machine so I'm using identification by partition id (/dev/sda etc) for my static devices.
Everything you've mounted during the installation will appear in the fstab so for now you're good.
If you want to add your usb hard drive to your mounts the way you described you can use the noauto option. You'll have to use UUID though.
Find out the UUID by typing blkid -o list oder just plain blkid.
This is what i use for my usb hard drive.

/dev/disk/by-uuid/DEFC3BD4FC3BA5A5 /media/usbhdd auto noatime,noauto,rw,users 0 0

You just have to create the folder and then type sudo mount /media/usbhdd to mount the drive. You could make it easier by creating an alias in your .bashrc à la "alias mntu="sudo mount /media/usbhdd ; cd /media/usbhdd"". This is, of course, assuming you use sudo in which case you would probably not want to having to type a password for this procedure. You can achieve that by typing "visudo" as root and then add the line:

yourusername   ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD: /bin/mount, /bin/umount

There are also options where you don't have to edit the fstab. Look at HAL/UDEV and autofs entrys in the arch wiki. You'll probably want the packages ntfs-3g and pmount, too.
Your user has to be in the group storage to be able to do those things, i believe.
Just some suggestions. There's plenty of information in the wiki and these forums already.

Greets,
demian

Last edited by demian (2010-04-20 09:11:18)

no place like /home
github

Board footer