You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-11 15:40:40

phuongnguyen

Share files between Arch Linux and XP Home

Hi, I have an Arch Linux desktop and a XP Home Laptop both connected to a Billion 7401 ADSL Router to get to the internet. If I am using any computer sometimes I have a need to use files from the other one, and from an external HDD connected to the XP laptop. I have been googling for the last 3 weeks but could not find a concrete solution to this issue, maybe because I don't understand much about networking or p2p, and samba. Looks like I have to spend more money on either another computer to be setup as a server or on a router or hub or switch? But I thought my Billion Router is already a router? I wonder if you can please help me to solve this problem or point me to a good link? Thanks a lot.

#2 2010-04-11 15:47:56

demian

Re: Share files between Arch Linux and XP Home

You don't have to spend money. All you need is samba on your Linux machine. It allows you to share and access files within a windows network.
For Windows you don't need any extra Software. Just share the files/partitions/directories you want using the windows file sharing mechanisms.

The archwiki entry is pretty detailed but for a start all you need is

pacman -S samba smbclient gamin

To mount shares you want to use smbclient (man smbclient, also have a look at the wiki entry). To share files from linux create /etc/samba/smb.conf and add content similar to the following:

[global]
workgroup = WORKGROUP
server string = Samba Server
netbios name = Linux
security = share
guest account = USER
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
name resolve order = hosts wins bcast
wins support = no

[nameofshare]
comment = Linux share
path = /directory/you/want/to/share
available = yes
browsable = yes
public = yes
writable = yes (or no, if you prefer)

Regards,
demian

Last edited by demian (2010-04-13 07:50:14)

no place like /home
github

#3 2010-04-12 03:53:00

davidm

SSHFS is another more Linux native option for sharing files (and it can be compatible with XP too using special programs).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSHFS
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sshfs

As I understand it XP Home uses simple file sharing which can be really insecure depending on your needs.  Once when I ran a computer with Linux and was needing to set up a samba share I discovered massive issues since (at the time) I was connecting regularly over a shared wireless network among untrusted persons.  I ended up looking into using SSH tunneling to overcome the issues associated with XP Home's Simple File sharing and that is when I came across SSHFS. smile

Whatever you do make sure to read this about XP Home's "Simple Filesharing"
http://www.centerlineit.com/index.php?v … q&Itemid=9

It's important you understand it.

Last edited by davidm (2010-04-12 04:01:34)

#4 2010-04-13 06:34:44

phuongnguyen

Thanks for your replies. I am still trying to figure it out. I followed the first reply yesterday, but did not know what to do after changing that file. Will try again tonite with the second reply.

#5 2010-04-13 07:05:07

simba

After changing that file you should restart samba: /etc/rc.d/samba restart
and try to access your Linux shared dir from XP observing all computers in the workgroup.

More information: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samba

#6 2010-04-13 11:54:16

fumbles

simba wrote:

After changing that file you should restart samba: /etc/rc.d/samba restart
and try to access your Linux shared dir from XP observing all computers in the workgroup.

More information: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Samba

Changes to smb.conf should take effect instantaneously, you do however need to reset the connection on XP.

Last edited by fumbles (2010-04-13 11:57:49)

#7 2010-04-13 11:59:05

maxexcloo

To access a samba share on a network open windows explorer and type this into the address bar:

\\IPHere

To find your ip open a terminal on the host machine and type ifconfig.
The IP should be listed like this:

inet addr:192.168.1.10

Last edited by maxexcloo (2010-04-13 11:59:21)

#8 2010-04-13 14:15:11

NSB-fr

Since the external HDD is connected to the XP laptop wouldn't it be easier to share it from the laptop and connect to the share from the linux desktop ? Sharing under XP Home is not that hard, no ?

Carpe Diem

#9 2010-04-13 15:52:21

fcuk112

if both computers are connected to the internet then dropbox is another option to sync files.  i use it to store important files only that i want to be able to access from both machines...

Archlinux.Club launching soon!  Sign up now @ http://archlinux.launchrock.com

#10 2010-04-18 08:51:59

phuongnguyen

Dear All, thanks for your help. After 1 week of struggling I have managed to get my XP box to see my Linux box, following this link http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605 with a little bit of tweak (commenting out force use and force group). Learning Linux is a real pain but I feel so happy everytime I could do something (almost 2 months past since I first started to install Linux on my new computer, and I am still learning to make things work!). I am still trying to figure out how to get my Linux box to see the XP box and that bloody external HDD, which is full of my mp3 music and which is connected to the XP box.

#11 2010-04-18 12:49:02

phuongnguyen

I have my XP laptop named as XP_IBM_LAPTOP. When I run the command smbclient -L XP_IBM_LAPTOP -U my_user_name I could see the shared folders but there is no Server or Workgroup listed, and consequently I can't mount the shared folders. Any idea?

#12 2010-04-18 17:26:27

phuongnguyen

I got it working: there were space and brackets in the shared network folder, so I had to use escape sequences!

#13 2010-04-20 14:35:21

tinhtruong

My rule of thumb: NEVER use space in file names and directory names! smile

Board footer