You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-21 17:45:27

babalu_pt

[SOLVED] How do I paste in xterm?

Hi all...

I got an issue... I haven't managed to copy from xterm to any other place than the same xterm or another xterm..

I'd like to copy from a xterm to another place (like this thread or a txt)... atm to do that simple thing I got to write what ever I want to a file (inside the xterm). then I open that file with a text editor and copy what I want to where I want..

but I'd like to avoid all those steps and simply copy/paste what I need to where I need.

tks in advance

Last edited by babalu_pt (2010-04-22 07:31:45)

#2 2010-04-21 17:47:14

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: [SOLVED] How do I paste in xterm?

Mark the text in xterm using the mouse, middle click of shift-insert  to paste. It works in (almost) all X apps.

Last edited by Mr.Elendig (2010-04-21 17:47:39)

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2010-04-21 17:54:46

babalu_pt

lol.. I'm rly very stupid... I did the middle mouse on xterm but were allways trying the crtl+v to paste on other apps.. could have been smarter and try aswell the middle mouse LOL

tks a lot smile

#4 2010-04-21 23:26:05

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

You should probably change the title to something like "[SOLVED] How do I paste in xterm?" smile

#5 2010-04-22 06:48:04

Ogion

You may want to use something like parcellite/glipper/klipper. Those are little programs that sit in your systray (if you have one) and give you a 'history' of what you selected/copied. You can also merge the primary and secondary selection and thus merge into one (accessible paste by middleclick) what you select with the mouse and what you 'copy' in other apps (like firefox or such).
I find the history feature quite useful (to make an understatement).

Ogion

(my-dotfiles)
"People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
"Enlightenment is man's leaving his self-caused immaturity." - Immanuel Kant

#6 2010-04-22 07:55:19

orschiro
Website

babalu_pt wrote:

lol.. I'm rly very stupid... I did the middle mouse on xterm but were allways trying the crtl+v to paste on other apps.. could have been smarter and try aswell the middle mouse LOL

tks a lot smile

Pasting with ctrl+v is possible after you add the following to your ~/.Xdefaults.

xterm*selectToClipboard: true

Don't forget to merge the changes with xrdb -merge ~/.Xdefaults.

Regards

Board footer