You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-15 23:38:09

eirik

[SOLVED] Processes hang on __blkdev_get

Edit: A problem with the DVD reader, probably defective.

I've edited the post now that I've figured out it's not a problem with the applications themselves. Some programs, ie. XBMC become interruptible when launched, this happens consistently a little while after boot (everything's fine before then).

Thought it was because one of my disks has a corrupt partition table (btw, can that be rebuilt without losing data?), but physically detaching that drive didn't solve the problem. When looking at the processes, they all show up in Gnome's System Monitor with "Waiting Channel: __blkdev_get" written there, and can't be killed. I tried twice attaching gdb to a process, but it just keeps waiting.

Trying to google for __blkdev_get didn't turn up any results I could understand much from. This started happening after I replaced a defective motherboard, but the new one seems to be working perfectly fine except for these problems I can't seem to figure out.

Affected programs: XBMC, gxine, VirtualBox, TestDisk

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Old post:

I have really no idea what's going on, but basically I've had problems with both XBMC and VirtualBox doing absolutely nothing after installing a new motherboard (the previous one was defective, causing all kinds of trouble). Now I have a computer that's running stable, but XBMC just creates unkillable processes without opening, and VirtualBox displays a blank interface. The programs work most of the time right after a reboot, but if I try to launch them twice, they won't run on the second attempt. XBMC has also frozen itself after a short while every time I've got it running.

No idea what to conclude from this without any idea on where to start debugging. dbus is often unable to restart, no idea if it's related. Sorry for the vague description, but I'm failing to properly understand this myself. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by eirik (2010-04-25 12:39:52)

Arch Linux x86_64 · xbmc-svn all night

#2 2010-04-16 03:30:45

empthollow

Re: [SOLVED] Processes hang on __blkdev_get

the only thing I can think is that both of those applications have heavy video usage.  I might double check to see that your video driver is setup properly.  The blank interface you are describing with virtualbox really sounds like video driver mismatch with kernel or incompatible version.

--empthollow
Check out my Arch based live distro http://fluxcapacity.99k.org

#3 2010-04-22 22:38:58

eirik

Re: [SOLVED] Processes hang on __blkdev_get

Video seems to work just fine in other applications, but thanks for the tip anyway. I've updated the OP to reflect what little I've been able to gather of the problem so far.

Last edited by eirik (2010-04-22 22:39:23)

Arch Linux x86_64 · xbmc-svn all night

Board footer