You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-05 20:52:05

lasu1

HAL won't start...no X, only terminal

Hey, everything was going on quite well for a few months...now HAL won't start. At all. Obviously, any WM doesn't start either.

When I try to start HAL I get this:

Failed to start message bus: Error in file /etc/dbus-1/system.d/ConsoleKit.conf, line 1, column 0: no element found

and

sudo half --daemon=no --verbose=yes
Password:
<time> [i] hald.c:673: hal 0.5.14
<time> [i] hald.c:674: using child timeout 250s
hald.c:739 Will not daemonize
hald_dbus.c:5444: local server is listening at unix:abstract=/var/run/hald/dub-xbTfmFQNCq,guid=dfa78a35969778d0e6e5046f00000112
hald_dbus.c:5821: dbus_bus_get(): Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket:No such file or directory

Things I've tried: adding/removing dbus from daemons array, fscking the disk (who knows)...restarting hal and dbus 1,000 times.

Any ideas?

Thanks, big_smile

EDIT: I notice that I upgraded dbus-python to 0.83.1-1 this afternoon...the problem started following a reboot...hmmm...ALSO, I should note that I am using 86-64, if that means anything.

Last edited by lasu1 (2010-04-05 20:56:09)

#2 2010-04-05 20:57:20

flamelab

Re: HAL won't start...no X, only terminal

Reinstall dbus and consolekit, and reboot.

#3 2010-04-05 21:00:39

lasu1

Thanks for the interest. I should have mentioned that I'd tried that to no avail sad

EDIT: I should add that dbus won't start either -- it gives essentially the same error as HAL does.

Last edited by lasu1 (2010-04-05 21:07:19)

#4 2010-04-05 21:07:56

flamelab

Delete the consolekit.conf and reinstall consolekit, just in case.

#5 2010-04-05 21:14:01

lasu1

Well, it's getting worse. I can't get any internet connection now (I was able to...no idea why that stopped working.) So, I'm not able to reinstall any packages. I'm going to try with the Arch CD. If that fails, I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to trash Arch, which sucks. It's ultra speedy, and a nice OS, but if the system randomly borks like this, I can't handle it. sad

#6 2010-04-05 22:41:25

flamelab

lasu1 wrote:

Well, it's getting worse. I can't get any internet connection now (I was able to...no idea why that stopped working.) So, I'm not able to reinstall any packages. I'm going to try with the Arch CD. If that fails, I hate to do it, but I'm going to have to trash Arch, which sucks. It's ultra speedy, and a nice OS, but if the system randomly borks like this, I can't handle it. sad

What happened to your system, is unusual, let it be said, rare. So "your error" != "Arch sucks".

#7 2010-04-05 23:02:02

jwbirdsong

@flamelab
I don't read that the same way as you. 
What sucks (in my reading) is the having to trash arch. (And install something else)
  Not arch itself.

OP said nothing derogatory about arch.  Even still complimenting it. <quote>It's ultra speedy, and a nice OS</quote>

PLEASE read and try to FIX/FILE BUGS instead of assuming other have/will.

#8 2010-04-06 00:08:01

lasu1

well.............................

I do love Arch. That's why I just reinstalled it, lol.

So, I'm installing my DE right now. However, xterm started just fine. So, you know what that means. It means I screwed up, because otherwise, hal & dbus would have had the *same* errors. Since they did not have errors, it means I did something. What, I've no clue.

I used Arch for a few months, and the truth is, its been the best Linux OS I've used (I've travelled through quite a few). It's the most stable OS I've ever used, even beating out Windows.  So, I just can't give it up. It's also the fastest OS out there, all things considered.

However, this time around I'm going to be more "prudent." No more experimental WMs -- I'm sticking to xfce. Separate partitions for / and /home. More careful -Syu'ing, no more SSHing that I don't need, no more crazy X configs, no more installing random stuff, no more bash scripts that I don't really need to be running. I'm going to keep the system clean, separate, and secure -- no more shortcuts.

As a note, I'm in a fresh new xfce4: so, this confirms that I whacked something out myself. Let's give it another whirl ;-)

EDIT: So, now everything is updated and working well. I even backed up all my packages in their "working" state, and am going to do the same with all of my config files (now that the system is humming along smoothly). I'm not going to get bitten again, lol.

Last edited by lasu1 (2010-04-06 03:06:17)

#9 2010-04-06 05:52:08

toad
Website

lasu1 wrote:

However, this time around I'm going to be more "prudent." No more experimental WMs -- I'm sticking to xfce. Separate partitions for / and /home. More careful -Syu'ing, no more SSHing that I don't need, no more crazy X configs, no more installing random stuff, no more bash scripts that I don't really need to be running. I'm going to keep the system clean, separate, and secure -- no more shortcuts.

Famous last words smile

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#10 2010-04-06 19:54:28

lasu1

Heh, I think the more accurate way to state this is that I should never have been using the system I *depend* on for experimenting/having fun/trying new things. I should use an older box/separate "playing" installation for that. Then, when I thoroughly understand what I'm doing I can bring it over to my base system.

#11 2010-04-06 20:00:56

oldmerovingian

lasu1 wrote:

Heh, I think the more accurate way to state this is that I should never have been using the system I *depend* on for experimenting/having fun/trying new things. I should use an older box/separate "playing" installation for that. Then, when I thoroughly understand what I'm doing I can bring it over to my base system.

I tell myself the same thing.  I even have Arch installed on an older laptop to play around with.  But when it comes down to it, I always tinker with my production machine which sometimes gets me into trouble.  But the way I see it, it is a learning experience and it is fun.  Plus there are always live CDs I can use if I somehow screw it up too badly to use.  big_smile

#12 2010-04-24 06:31:25

virusso80

Hi, I've upgraded today...and same error! I won't reinstall everything. I'm using kde. It was long time since my last upgrade. I know it should be done often...but i had no time, and now...:(

network doesn't work at all, only terminal. But i cannot see any message from hal. if i try to start hal...it simply fails! I don't know what i can do!

Please give me some help! I'll appreciate sad

Thanks in advance

#13 2010-04-24 09:25:39

demian

Check what packages you installed last by cd'ing to /var/cache/pacman and doing "ls -lARt".
If you can, revert back to the previous packages.
What you also _could_ try (i'm not saying it's advisable) is upgrading your system using the testing repository. Can't get any worse, right?

Greets,
demian

no place like /home
github

#14 2010-04-24 20:05:53

virusso80

demian wrote:

Check what packages you installed last by cd'ing to /var/cache/pacman and doing "ls -lARt".
What you also _could_ try (i'm not saying it's advisable) is upgrading your system using the testing repository. Can't get any worse, right?

Greets,
demian

I don't have any working network connection! sad

#15 2010-04-24 20:20:07

the dsc

Same situation with me. No X or internet. I can have internet (and X!) on arch if I run debian, using arch via chroot, though.

So, this sort of thing is expected to happen if you don't update for some time? I wasn't doing anything with arch for about a week, and yesterday I was trying to set the keyboard layout to work on X, and meanwhile, I decided to do the "pacman -Syu". After that I'm not being able to start x or to ping anywhere. I think it could be, albeit unlikely, a coincidence.

Before that, one option on xorg.conf (Xkblayout or something), on the keyboard section, if enabled, would make x fail to start, if I recall, as oddly as it sounds (at least to me). I've tried to comment this and another part I was messing with, of course, but didn't work. I think I'll just look there again at the log, to see if I can find something more specific.

I think I can make x work right now if I use the vesa driver (at least I've done that as a test; unfortunately, the mouse and the keyboard were not working), but then it will be only 800x600 or so.   

Any idea on how to get things working normally? What's the bare minimum, regarding configuration files, to have X and the internet working? I thought that these says we didn't even need xorg.conf, but X didn't work even after I "deleted" (renamed) it.

Last edited by the dsc (2010-04-24 20:21:42)

#16 2010-04-24 20:55:08

virusso80

the dsc wrote:

Same situation with me. No X or internet. I can have internet (and X!) on arch if I run debian, using arch via chroot, though.

So, this sort of thing is expected to happen if you don't update for some time? I wasn't doing anything with arch for about a week, and yesterday I was trying to set the keyboard layout to work on X, and meanwhile, I decided to do the "pacman -Syu". After that I'm not being able to start x or to ping anywhere. I think it could be, albeit unlikely, a coincidence.

Before that, one option on xorg.conf (Xkblayout or something), on the keyboard section, if enabled, would make x fail to start, if I recall, as oddly as it sounds (at least to me). I've tried to comment this and another part I was messing with, of course, but didn't work. I think I'll just look there again at the log, to see if I can find something more specific.

I think I can make x work right now if I use the vesa driver (at least I've done that as a test; unfortunately, the mouse and the keyboard were not working), but then it will be only 800x600 or so.   

Any idea on how to get things working normally? What's the bare minimum, regarding configuration files, to have X and the internet working? I thought that these says we didn't even need xorg.conf, but X didn't work even after I "deleted" (renamed) it.

well...i think your problem is a bit different! here issue is that hal is not starting then no DE starts and no network connection works...everything is too weird! sad

#17 2010-04-24 22:12:45

demian

virusso80 wrote:
demian wrote:

Greets,
demian

I don't have any working network connection! sad

Use the live cd and pacmans -r option. If you haven't cleaned your cache you'll also have previous packages in your /var/cache/pacman directory so you don't necessarily need an internet connection.

Last edited by demian (2010-04-24 22:14:25)

no place like /home
github

#18 2010-04-24 22:17:15

the dsc

Hal wasn't (I don't know if it is now) starting here too. I guess I just have two simultaneous troubles, one of which seems to be the same you guys are having.

Do your xinit error messages give a line like this: "FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.32-ARCH/modules.dep: No such file or directory" ?

It was being the trouble for me, and I've googled a bit about, and this results at least in X not working for some other people, I don't know if it's due to hal not starting or whatever (it was happening to me too).

It seems that how to fix it may be a bit different for everyone. It apparently results from upgrading the kernel and not booting right away, but I might have misunderstood something. For some people the solution was simply too boot (!), but for others it involved commands such as "depmod -a". In my case, I've reinstalled the kernel (some people downgraded it), and it worked, at least X worked. I didn't test network yet, and I didn't pay attention to see if hal started. Despite of X starting, I was having my own troubles with its configuration, so I didn't have mouse or keyboard. I'm typing from debian, I'm going too take a look at arch's xorg.conf and then reboot once again, if there's something that looks more or less evidently wrong (like it not being there).

So, that's it. I suggest you to see if that "modules.dep" thing appears in your xinit error messages, and google a bit for it if that's the case.

EDIT: Yep, it did fix everything for me. Hal starts, X starts, and now that I've restored xorg.conf, I can use the keyboard and I also have internet connection on arch.  smile

EDIT 2: additional note. The error message I've mentioned does not appear in the xorg.0.log on /var somewhere (I couldn't find/grep it at least), but only as the output of xinit (probably startx as well).

Last edited by the dsc (2010-04-24 22:35:57)

#19 2010-04-24 23:04:19

ConnorBehan
Package Maintainer (PM)
Website

You do realize that in a few days, X won't need HAL anymore. Even sooner if you start using the xorg18 repos.

6EA3 F3F3 B908 2632 A9CB E931 D53A 0445 B47A 0DAB
Great things come in tar.xz packages.

#20 2010-04-25 07:53:08

virusso80

In my case, I can only work from terminal without network and without starting any DE. because, otherwise both keyboard and mouse are not working. This upgrade upgraded more than 100 pkgs...:(

#21 2010-04-25 14:27:15

virusso80

i solved by downloading hal pkg and re-installing it again! thenks 4 ur help!

Board footer