You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-01 12:49:38

RufusD

Chakra less stable than arch?

Hi there!
I've been getting interested in arch linux recently. I'm quite experienced with debian sidux, but only installed chakra a few days ago. Since then I've had KDE kick me out to kdm about every 30 minutes. Besides, I couldn't get cups to find my usb printer (Lexmark X543dn).
So my question is:
If I replaced Chakra by arch linux, can I expect less problems? I'd really like to get into Arch (Chakra is amazingly snappy), but I can't live with constant WM crashes.
Best wishes,
Rufus

Last edited by RufusD (2010-04-01 12:53:54)

#2 2010-04-01 13:05:04

toad
Website

Re: Chakra less stable than arch?

Hm, I'm running arch with vanilla kde and have never had that problem. Then again there are plenty chakra folk here on this forum who prolly wouldn't know what you are talking about either.

What do the logs say?

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#3 2010-04-01 13:21:44

RufusD

Good point about the logs... There's some things I can add from the top of my head:

I'm using an nVidia GeForce 6200. Upon booting Chakra's liveCD I had it install the proprietary driver, so my KDE is running with desktop effects.
The crashes don't happen on their own, but when I do certain things. One of these is trying to configure KDE's digital watch (I do not, unfortunately, recall what steps *exactly* I was following).
I'll check the logs and try to pinpoint individual points of failure

#4 2010-04-01 13:24:10

atriya

You'll certainly have less problems with Arch. Keep in mind that Chakra is still in alpha, not even beta.

#5 2010-04-01 13:36:43

tomk
Forum Fellow

Ask on the chakra forum as well - the fault could be one of their tweaks.

#6 2010-04-01 14:31:23

ChoK

Did you by any chance keep your ~/.kde or ~/.kdemod when upgrading from 4.3 to 4.4, if so many plasmoids will crash X you should uninstall them and add them back one by one

http://chakra-project.org/bbs/viewtopic.php?pid=12635

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#7 2010-04-01 14:51:55

RufusD

I don't think it's a problem with user settings. Afaik chakra uses ~/.kdemod4. This directory never existed on my install, since sidux uses ~/.kde

#8 2010-04-01 15:00:06

toad
Website

So, nothing yet in /var/log/kdm.log for example?

never trust a toad...
::Grateful ArchDonor::
::Grateful Wikipedia Donor::

#9 2010-04-01 15:49:03

ChoK

Check your ~/.xsession-errors, and also make sure that you have enough disk space under /var (if not some kde app like plasma-desktop or kwin fails silently)

Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness.
Picasso
Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
Saint Exupéry

#10 2010-04-01 15:51:02

Sheepeh
Website

I personally have had Chakra's KDE apps be a little bit more crash happy, but I just put that down to the project still being early more than anything.  I've never tried their KDE mod on an Arch installed base.

My personal way of running is just to use base Arch and install all of KDE (it's not like I need the disk space or anything, and I like having all the functionality there if I should decide on a whim to do something out of my usual usage pattern).

After the recent 4.4 updates it's been pretty solid, really.

#11 2010-04-01 16:22:09

chakra-user

I am running chakra(as if my userid wasn't enuf to understand this smile ) and I don't see any crashes of the type u r describing. Yes I do see wierd behaviour esp when starting Arch so dunno if it is Arch or Chakra-Arch to blame or both or... However since chakra works for all of us, it is surely some problem in ur setup. You did not mention abt which chakra version, if u installed Alpha 4 then upgraded (pacman -Syu) then you need to basically delete .kdemod and then try. As others have mentioned logs will be more helpful to help u.

#12 2010-04-01 17:16:03

schuay
Package Maintainer (PM)

RufusD wrote:

I don't think it's a problem with user settings. Afaik chakra uses ~/.kdemod4. This directory never existed on my install, since sidux uses ~/.kde

So you installed over your sidux installation without formatting?
Have you tried a clean install?

About the printer - you might need to install specific drivers, check the wiki and forums.

I'm running Arch + KDE4 + nvidia, xorg crashes simply don't happen here smile

Last edited by schuay (2010-04-01 17:18:01)

#13 2010-04-01 18:18:14

mythus
Website

Greetings,

I have found that kde-vanilla worked better for my system than chakra, but then again I did chakra when I tested it on top of a basic arch system, and not using the chakra system.

I would suggest giving arch linux itself a try. The Beginner's Guide makes it simple to do as long as you know your system. If you have another computer, such as a lap top, you can have it open to the wiki as you install. Otherwise you can Alt F2 into another terminal and use lynks to read the wiki as you install.

Hmm, but you may want to try this tomorrow and not today wink

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#14 2010-04-01 20:20:31

spoovy

As a newb myself I think the difficulty of installing an arch system is exaggerated.  It's time consuming but not difficult (can't be if I can do it).  The only thing I had probs with was wireless.

I love my new desktop, I never knew KDE could be so fast, I am really very impressed.   I say to leave Chakra alone and just install Arch!  Do a test install in VirtualBox if you're not sure.

#15 2010-04-01 20:58:27

Misfit138
Misfit Emeritus

spoovy wrote:

As a newb myself I think the difficulty of installing an arch system is exaggerated.  It's time consuming but not difficult (can't be if I can do it).  The only thing I had probs with was wireless.

I love my new desktop, I never knew KDE could be so fast, I am really very impressed.   I say to leave Chakra alone and just install Arch!  Do a test install in VirtualBox if you're not sure.

A testament to your can-do spirit and to the Arch documentation.
smile

#16 2010-04-06 12:37:54

RufusD

All right, I installed arch. Got quite a few issues already sorted out (mostly by following your *excellent* wiki), but some remain. Anyway, I hope to get them solved in the course of time.

#17 2010-04-25 19:39:20

belhor
Website

I use both and Chakra works very well, the only thing that i dislike from Chakra its that install many files that i not use.
wink

Open your mind
Open your life
...be free

Board footer