You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-24 01:40:04

mrbrich

When does hibernate-script get an update?

Hi,

The hibernate-script package in extra is flagged out-of-date and is also an "Orphan".  In fact, the version in the repository is 1.99 which was release in May 2008, while the current version is 2.0 which was released in April 2009 (1 year ago).  I'm pretty new to Archlinux, so I don't know how this is handled.  My understanding is that humble users like myself can't contribute to these official repositories, only to AUR.  On the other hand, no one seems to be responsible for this package, so what do I do if I want the latest version?

#2 2010-04-24 06:14:47

Heller_Barde

Re: When does hibernate-script get an update?

you can take the PKGBUILD for the package which you can get through the "abs" command and change the version number and then build it yourself with "makepkg". All pertinent information you can find in the wiki.

Have fun big_smile
archlinux PKGBUILDs are really easy to understand if you know your way around a commandline.

#3 2010-04-24 14:19:23

Surgat_

Also, if you get a working PKGBUILD for the new version you can submit it to the [arch-dev-public] mailing list and hope to see it included in [extra]

#4 2010-04-27 21:13:52

Wikimig
Developer
Website

Heller_Barde wrote:

you can take the PKGBUILD for the package which you can get through the "abs" command and change the version number and then build it yourself with "makepkg"

Done. Here are the sources (Edit: removed link of old version. See end of thread for up-to-date package) (adapted from the 1.99 from [extra]).

As said this is just an adjustment of the old 1.99: I updated the sources and removed an unnecessary (because now upstream) patch.  That builds and installs on my computer but I cannot test it as I don't have the required kernel.  So I can't guarantee that makes what it is supposed to smile even though you should be fine.

Could you test it for me please?  If that works and if this package is still useful, we could then consider submitting it on the mailing-list (I am not familiar with hibernate so can't really say if packages you see on AUR with "yaourt -Ss tuxonice" don't make this package useless).

To install it:

As regular user:

wget http://archlinux.alaux.net/hibernate-script-2.0-1.src.tar.gz
tar -xzf hibernate-script-2.0-1.src.tar.gz
cd hibernate-script
makepkg

As root:
If on i686 arch

pacman -U hibernate-script-2.0-1-i686.pkg.tar.xz

else

pacman -U hibernate-script-2.0-1-x86_64.pkg.tar.xz

Just let me know how it works.

Last edited by Wikimig (2010-04-28 15:27:08)

#5 2010-04-27 21:57:01

Kooothor

http://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra … te-script/

Two questions come in mind :

Why not call it tuxonice ?
Why not follow the upstream version numerotation ?

ktr

#6 2010-04-27 22:24:44

tomk
Forum Fellow

Tuxonice is the kernel patch, which is currently at version 3.1.

Hibernate script is the userspace utility, which is currently at version 2.0.

All of this info is on the tuxonice page that you linked above.

#7 2010-04-28 06:59:38

Wikimig
Developer
Website

Yes, these are two different things.

#8 2010-04-28 15:15:36

mrbrich

Hi Wikimig,

There is just one more thing to be changed in PKGBUILD.  The name of one of the config files (in the backup list) has changed from suspend2.conf to tuxonice.conf.

In terms of testing, it is working for suspend-to-RAM but I am having trouble getting TuxOnIce to work at the moment.  I don't think my problem related to hibernate-script 2.0.  When I do get it working, I will post back.  Also note that hibernate-script can be useful independently of TuxOnIce, as an alternative to pm-utils (it also works for suspend-to-RAM, uswsusp, etc.)

#9 2010-04-28 15:25:13

Wikimig
Developer
Website

mrbrich wrote:

There is just one more thing to be changed in PKGBUILD.  The name of one of the config files (in the backup list) has changed from suspend2.conf to tuxonice.conf.

There you are.

mrbrich wrote:

In terms of testing, it is working for suspend-to-RAM but I am having trouble getting TuxOnIce to work at the moment.  I don't think my problem related to hibernate-script 2.0.  When I do get it working, I will post back.

OK !

mrbrich wrote:

Also note that hibernate-script can be useful independently of TuxOnIce, as an alternative to pm-utils (it also works for suspend-to-RAM, uswsusp, etc.)

Hum... interesting!  I may have a look at it then.

Thx

#10 2010-05-04 13:22:36

Kooothor

tomk wrote:

Tuxonice is the kernel patch, which is currently at version 3.1.

Hibernate script is the userspace utility, which is currently at version 2.0.

ok, cheers big_smile

ktr

Board footer