You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-27 06:50:16

Berticus

Setting up a slim 32-bit chroot

My purpose of setting up a 32-bit chroot is to play some 32-bit games. When I install nvidia, it pulls in a bunch of other dependencies, such as kernel26, mkinitcpio, xorg (via nvidia-utils), and probably a bunch of other stuff.

The wiki wasn't exactly clear. At first it said I could clean up the environment a bit by getting rid of kernel26 and mkinitcpio. However, it says to install nvidia, simply put:

# pacman -S nvidia

Like I said, this pulls in a BUNCH of things, which may or may not be necessary. The kernel I'm not so sure about, but I'm pretty sure I don't need mkinitcpio and another X server running.

#2 2010-04-27 23:56:21

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: Setting up a slim 32-bit chroot

If hard disk space is not a big problem, I'd suggest just leaving things as they are. If it is, you should just force remove them after installing nvidia. Be aware that the next nvidia update would probably pull them back in, and you'd have to do it all over again.

You could probably just have a script to remove everything you know you won't need (don't forget to clear the cache).

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

Board footer