You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-27 11:09:07

Vetrinom

Aspire One won't shutdown

I have been searching the internet and this forum for quite a while but I haven't found a solution. As a last resort I'll try and ask for help even I fear it is futile.

I'm not very advanced user but I have installed Arch on my laptop. From the start I have not been able to shut it down. It does shutdown as it is commanded but restarts after few seconds.

I have tried shutdown -h now and init 0 and some other commands but they all work the same way. Linpus was pre-installed when I bought the computer and it was able to shut it down.

I know there are people using Arch in same type of computers. Either I'm doing something wrong or there is something funny going on in the laptop. The motherboard broke after few months I bought the laptop but I doubt it has any real relevance.

BIOS version is 3310.

#2 2010-04-27 13:13:54

nsa.wijayanto

Re: Aspire One won't shutdown

Well, there are so many things that may cause this issue, for example the BIOS, the kernel not handling hardware properly, etc. My suggestion, first check if there's any BIOS update for your netbook, second, check if this issue affect other distro (not including linpus, because it was the default distro, maybe it may contain code that can handle the netbook properly. You may try any recent live CD distro).

Eee PC 2G Surf (700)

#3 2010-04-28 13:26:07

Vetrinom

There are no bios updates. I just tried slax 6.2.1 with same results. I'll try Moblin since it is designed for these systems. I'm less than hopefull though.

#4 2010-04-28 16:43:31

evot

I use poweroff command for my pc.

Computer is not the same as yours, but you can try that also...

#5 2010-04-29 12:30:58

Vetrinom

I have tried poweroff too and every other command I could find with same results. It's not the commands but something else. I booted Moblin from usb stick and it worked pretty well but could not shutdown either. So far I have tried Vector linux, Arch, Moblin and Slax and they all work pretty well in this machine, but can't shut it down. Maybe I should go back to Linpus since shutdown worked, trouble is that my 3G modem didn't work with it. It was a bit sluggish too...

I've heard people having this type of trouble with pci hardware like ethernet card. Maybe the issue is something like that but I'm just guessing. I guess I could try to "strip down" the system. I mean booting just the kernel without much else. Could be out of my league though.

#6 2010-04-29 12:38:22

grey

Does halt work from grub? I.e. at the grub menu type 'c' (for command), then at the command line type 'halt'.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

Board footer