You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-30 11:32:58

SanskritFritz
Website

[solved] tmux with fish: mc problems

I love tmux, although I wasnt much of a power user of screen, but I immediately switched to tmux, because the default settings appealed to me much more (like the status bar and the ability to split windows). Now for the twiddling part...
I have defined fish as the defult shell in tmux:

set-option -g default-shell "/usr/bin/fish"

It works ok, with one exception: when I invoke Midnight Commander, it prints this error message everytime I enter a folder:

Warning: Cannot change to /home/user/folder

and the screen looks a bit garbled. Is fish not inheriting something? What could be the problem?
If I dont have fish defined as default shell in tmux, but start fish manually in a tmux session, mc behaves correctly.

Last edited by SanskritFritz (2010-05-18 12:03:44)

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#2 2010-04-30 12:51:32

SanskritFritz
Website

Re: [solved] tmux with fish: mc problems

Interesting addition:
when I exit mc from the garbled session, fish history contains entries like this:

cd (printf "%b" '\0057home\0057user\0057\0056purple')

This was definitely sent to the shell by mc. I suspect the error message is even printed by fish, and not mc.
How can I turn off this feature in mc?

zʇıɹɟʇıɹʞsuɐs AUR || Cycling in Budapest with a helmet camera || Revised log levels proposal: "FYI" "WTF" and "OMG" (John Barnette)

#3 2010-05-18 08:29:17

SanskritFritz
Website

This problem is still unsolved. Anyone any idea?

#4 2010-05-18 10:55:35

rransom

From the man page:

mc -u

#5 2010-05-18 12:01:40

SanskritFritz
Website

rransom thank you, that helped. I really could have had understood this phenomena, now that I am rereading the relevant parts of the man, I do understand it, thank you.

#6 2010-05-18 14:25:32

rransom

I'm glad "mc -u" helps as a workaround, but please report this issue upstream to the mc developers.  Submit both a bug report (mc is incompatible with fish) and a feature request: using the -u option every time you start mc is a lousy workaround when mc can't control your preferred shell, and mc should have options in its configuration file to specify whether to use an external subshell at all, which subshell to use, and what type of shell it is (in case you have installed it with an unusual name).

#7 2010-05-19 07:24:24

SanskritFritz
Website

Board footer