You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-14 20:05:57

sfabius

Moving from ubuntu to arch: what to save?

I just got a Dell Latitude 13 at work. It comes with Ubuntu, but after poking around I want to put arch on it (which I've been using on various machines for several years). The nice thing about the ubuntu installation is that it is set up for the hardware, so things like suspend and hibernate work. So I thought I'd back up what is likely to have the relevant information before I remove ubuntu and install arch (I will also dual bot with windows 7, for reasons I won't go into). So, should I just back up /etc or are there other directories that might have relevant information. All the dot files in the home directory? BTW I usually use openbox in arch.

#2 2010-04-14 20:11:04

ataraxia

Re: Moving from ubuntu to arch: what to save?

I'd suggest: the home directory, /etc, /boot/grub/menu.lst, and anything of your own that isn't already covered.

#3 2010-04-14 20:32:24

moljac024

If it's a newer Ubuntu it will most likely have a newer grub, but even so, saving anything from /boot serves no purpose.
Backing up /etc doesn't make too much sense either, since they differ enough between the two distros and you can't have that much changes in there to not be able to do it manually on a fresh install. I don't think /etc in this case is too relevant for suspend/hibernate, that's most likely the patched kernel/other patched software.

That just leaves /home, which should be backed up smile

The day Microsoft makes a product that doesn't suck, is the day they make a vacuum cleaner.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But if they tell you that I've lost my mind, maybe it's not gone just a little hard to find...

#4 2010-04-15 00:09:37

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Isn't he talking about a new laptop as opposed to one he's been using (and has personal stuff on)?

I'd just dual-boot and test to make sure everything works the same before wiping Ubuntu. I doubt there's any specific hacks for your particular laptop, whatever they put in will be publicly available in any case.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#5 2010-04-15 12:44:33

sfabius

Yes it is a brand new laptop. Nothing in ~ except what is created when the account is created. I guess I'll put the windows on and then check out the ubuntu, and then replace the ubuntu. I usually create a separate data partition that I can get to from windows and linux also.

#6 2010-04-15 13:39:37

Ramses de Norre

As already mentioned, why not install arch besides ubuntu in the first place so that you can compare config files and remove ubuntu when everything works fine? This seems the most obvious way to go. Just copying over /etc probably wont work because ubuntu has a lot of debian style config systems which differ a lot from arch.

#7 2010-04-30 16:42:34

elric

I did an ubuntu -> debian + arch trip. In every case, I only copy some particular app folders under /home.  Besides, one nice thing about Arch is that you start with a really clean-slate, it's nice to redo (almost) everything.  I wouldn't just copy everything under /etc, yet stuff like mpd and *samba* conffiles might be useful, at least for a look in some cases (don't remember how samba was configured for the user in Ubuntu, it's a relative pain with Debian and Arch)

Board footer