You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-17 16:35:22

banjan

Install fails at boot

I am trying to reinstall Arch, but when I boot with the installation CD I'm just presented with a GRUB command line.

Looking through the forums it seems that using the isolinux image typically solves this kind of problem, but unfortunately it occurs even when attempting that. When I try the regular image (netinstall-x86_64.iso) I get a "grub>" prompt and when using the isolinux image there's a "boot>" prompt in GRUB.

I've burnt at 1x speed using several burners and also used different kinds of CD:s. When I originally installed Arch I had no problems at all.

Possibly useful info:

- AMD II x4 620, 6 GB RAM, NVidia GT220, lots of free disc space
- Dual-booting with Windows7
- Having a separate /boot partition
- Attempting to use an Ubuntu install CD also fails with similar symptoms

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2010-04-19 11:31:36

tpowa
Developer

Re: Install fails at boot

#3 2010-04-30 21:08:03

Tamarind

Re: Install fails at boot

Sorry for bumping this topic, but I have the same problem. I've tried installing some 10 times with various versions of the Arch disks, but fail miserably everytime. So I used the previous .iso (2009.03?) and went so far as to configuring the system, but then there were completely blank config files. I consider myself quite advanced, but that's just too much.

Can anyone please tell me how to get the ordinary arch install cd images working (netinstall, x86_64.isolinux)? I'm desperate for help!

Board footer