You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-20 15:26:24

kcy29581

how to repair Arch?[SOLVED]

Hi all,

When gdm fires up I am unable to use the keyboard... nothing works, just my touchpad so at least i can shutdown! I think I know what did it (setting in rc.conf) but how do I fix this now? I've booted into knoppix but it wont allow me any administrative priviledges! Forgive me for my ignorance but I thought that that was knoppix's big attraction: live-rescue-cd?

Any help please! Any suggestions of how to fix this would be great!
Thanks

There is no spoon in Arch...

#2 2005-03-20 15:54:36

i3839

Re: how to repair Arch?[SOLVED]

If you use Grub then you can edit the boot options with 'e' when booting. Append at the end S so that you boot into single user mode (it will be the runlevel Arch boots into).

In Knoppix you can do anything as root with the sudo command. So for instance to get a root console do 'sudo xterm'.

#3 2005-03-20 16:08:23

kcy29581

By using single user mode Arch will ignore the gdm daemon then?

And concerning knoppix: no, I have tried sudo and it does not work on OTHER people's media. IT becomes root yes, even in console, but everything is still readonly possibly because otherwise anyone could destroy a system with a knoppix cd?

#4 2005-03-20 16:27:46

DeusExLinux

I've never had an issue with a Knoppix/Mepis LiveCD.  I have always been able to boot into it and rescue my system..  Hmm.. with root prvlidges you should be able to do anything, regardless of what "group" it is in..

What daemon did you start?

#5 2005-03-20 16:31:18

FUBAR
Website

kcy29581 wrote:

By using single user mode Arch will ignore the gdm daemon then?

And concerning knoppix: no, I have tried sudo and it does not work on OTHER people's media. IT becomes root yes, even in console, but everything is still readonly possibly because otherwise anyone could destroy a system with a knoppix cd?

Knoppix probably mounts all partitions it finds read only. I've been using Knoppix for a couple of hours last week and I've manually mounted the partitions I needed writable without any problems.

Just boot the Knoppix CD, go to console (ALT + F2) and mount your partitions yourself. By chrooting into the mounted partition, you can even use the apps on Arch easily:

mkdir -p /mnt/arch
mount -t xfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/arch
chroot /bin/bash /mnt/arch
nano /etc/rc.conf

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

#6 2005-03-20 16:37:31

kcy29581

yep! solved now. it was the read/write permissions...Sorry!

Thanks for all your help

Board footer