You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-01 15:46:14

Jargowsky

Problem setting up wireless network

I guess the best place to start off is letting you know that I am very new to Archlinux, but I am very eager to learn. I was following the wiki through my first installation and seemed to be doing very well for myself. I have no wired networking, so I got everything setup through iwconfig during installation. Everything worked out fine, I found my wireless internet, labelled "ra0." Once Arch was installed, I went to setup my network again (I read that the network setup from the main install doesn't carry over).  This time, my wireless was labelled "wlan0" and gives me the error to let me know that I need drivers.

Does this make sense to anyone? Why would it work fine at first with no drivers, then not work post-install? Let me know if you need more info.

Thank you, to anyone who reads my personal problem.

And a greater "thank you" to those who respond.

#2 2010-05-01 16:54:43

Mektub

Re: Problem setting up wireless network

Jargowsky,

Please tell us which wireless card you are using. You can get it from the command line with:

lspci | grep -i net

Also what method are you trying to use ? wicd ? netcfg ? ...

Mektub

Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/johnbina

#3 2010-05-01 17:16:09

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Problem setting up wireless network

Jargowsky wrote:

Does this make sense to anyone? Why would it work fine at first with no drivers, then not work post-install?

I've seen stranger problems.  Without looking at it in detail, it is possible that the install disk had the resources to deal with your card and probably with several others you don't have.  When you do the install, things don't install without your direction.  You may have missed something.

What you can do is reboot using the install disk, and use tools such as [img]lsmod[/img] to determine which drivers were instantiated by that install disk.  Then make sure those are installed on your system.  Note that you may also require firmware for your card.

Jargowsky, however, is correct. Let's start with the output of lspci

Jargowsky wrote:

Thank you, to anyone who reads my personal problem.

Sorry, we can only help with the technical ones wink

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

Board footer