You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-03 01:03:49

fatjake

Using ndiswrapper when native drivers are available (Solved)

I am currently using the native linux rt2x00 drivers that are built in with the kernel, but have been experiencing packetloss/high pings. This happens even if I just ping my gateway, the ping and packetloss starts as soon as I try to load a webpage. If I can manage to load a speedtest it shows that my upload is normal, but my download is about .7Mb/s as opposed to 7Mb/s when I am not having the problem. Lately it has been even worse and even getting to a webpage is bad (signs point to malformed data or something, lynx gave me errors relating to that and midori just crashes sometimes when trying to load a page). This has been on and off and I cant figure it out, but rebooting or disabling and reenabling wlan0 and then reconfiguring the connection sometimes helps (for 10 minutes maybe).

I dont have problems with wireless on the same machine in Windows. I have already tried all the things like disabling IPv6 and a whole lot of other things from the Wiki and forums.

So, what I want to do is try NDISWRAPPER instead. I have followed the wiki to set that up and attempted to set it up as wlan1 since the same device is already in use with the native drivers as wlan0. There are some reasons why I want to keep the native driver around as well (promiscous mode).

So, what is the quickest way to switch between two different drivers for the same device? Should I somehow blacklist the native driver in rc.conf and reboot? Or some better idea on how to switch? Or maybe any thoughts as to why the native rt2500 driver isnt working well (I checked on serialmonkey and it seems like others are having the exact same problem recently with no real explanation).

Last edited by fatjake (2010-05-03 02:02:09)

#2 2010-05-03 01:47:50

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: Using ndiswrapper when native drivers are available (Solved)

Isn't the native driver simply a kernel module? Couldn't you just not load it at boot by removing it from /etc/rc.conf?

Last edited by cesura (2010-05-03 01:48:06)

#3 2010-05-03 02:01:56

fatjake

Re: Using ndiswrapper when native drivers are available (Solved)

I think I got a hang on it now, supposed to use !rt2500pci in the MODULES array.

Thanks

Board footer