You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-04 04:13:57

gapo
Website

How to completely uninstall an app ?

Been using Arch for over 2 years by now. There's just a small thing bugging me. I know I can remove an app nearly completely with the

pacman -Rns <name>

But I was wondering how could I completely uninstall the app ... like remove all the config files, the stuff in /usr and the entries in various menus and so on. I do understand it might not be possible, but I was just wondering whether there was something like ... Revvo Uninstaller wink for Arch linux ?

How I'm learning linux : If it ain't broken, fix it until it is. Then start over again.
....................................................................................................
Gapo the flow

#2 2010-05-04 05:45:04

YZMSQ

Re: How to completely uninstall an app ?

Hey, gapo:
Execuse me ,but I don't know your needs clearly.As far as I konw,the action "pacman -Rsn <name>"will surely remove all the files,like config files in /usr,binary files in /usr/bin……except the files in your /home/... (you could remove them by yourself).What's more,shaman will be great if you're searching for sth like Revo Uninstaller.And you?:D

This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper
                            -------T·S·Eliot

#3 2010-05-04 05:50:19

Allan
Pacman
Website

Correct.   pacman -Rsn should never leave files anywhere apart from what the package stores in the users home directory.

#4 2010-05-04 06:11:50

orschiro
Website

Is there any greater difference between -Rsn and -Rscgn?

As far as I know -Rscgn uninstalls also all dependecies. Does -Rsn do this too?

#5 2010-05-04 06:20:26

Allan
Pacman
Website

Well....   you can look in "man pacman" for information on flags.   

The "g" does nothing with "-R" so that does not make a difference.   Using "-c" with "-R" removes packages that depend on the package you are uninstalling and is likely not wanted very often.

#6 2010-05-04 09:29:55

gapo
Website

Hey ! Thanks for the info.

Sorry I wasn't clear. Pacman does not remove my configurations that the application creates.
I installed wine once and had a hell of a time removing all the entries it made in pcmanfm.
I was hoping for something other than deleting them by hand.

I don't know much about Shaman though. I'm running OB, so I don't want to drag in any qt deps. Anyway I'll check it out.

How I'm learning linux : If it ain't broken, fix it until it is. Then start over again.
....................................................................................................
Gapo the flow

#7 2010-05-04 10:04:36

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

gapo wrote:

Sorry I wasn't clear. Pacman does not remove my configurations that the application creates.
I installed wine once and had a hell of a time removing all the entries it made in pcmanfm.
I was hoping for something other than deleting them by hand.

Those files are not the responsibility of pacman. Deleting them would be analogous to deleting the Text files you've created when you decide to uninstall nano....

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#8 2020-10-29 10:02:27

Arifcse21

you can $ sudo pacman -Sc
smile

#9 2020-10-29 10:26:26

V1del
Forum Moderator

Please don't necrobump 10 year old threads with incorrect/inapplicable advice to boot. That would clear the pacman cache which is irrelevant to the installation state of a package.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Co … bumping%22

Closing.

Board footer