You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-04 18:32:21

shemz

NTFS partition: Files auto deleted by Windows [SOLVED]

I am dual booting with Win7. I copy some files to NTFS partition so that I can access them from Windows. But what I see after I boot into Windows, those files are either deleted or are corrupted (a few hundred megs file is just a few kB now) !!!

This is really frustrating as I lost several files, though not all as some files remain as they were in Arch. I have NTFS-3G installed, and use HAL hot-plug mounting to access the NTFS drive.

Any ideas what is going wrong here ? Thanks.

Last edited by shemz (2010-05-04 21:45:30)

#2 2010-05-04 18:41:42

martin77

Re: NTFS partition: Files auto deleted by Windows [SOLVED]

Weird. I myself did exactly the same lot of times and everything worked fine. However, I always did that between internal hard disks partitions. May be your NTFS drive is a USB external drive? If so keep in mind some times you need to let your external device write down all the data and the system may wait few minutes until releasing it. Please provide more details if you can't resolve your issue.

#3 2010-05-04 18:44:03

demian

Check your NTFS partition and repeat the copy process.
I haven't had any problems with ntfs write access with ntfs-3g.

no place like /home
github

#4 2010-05-04 19:08:29

Anaki

are you hibernating linux before booting into windows?

#5 2010-05-04 21:06:14

shemz

Its just another partition on the same drive where my arch ext4 partition exists. For a moment I thought its a problem with hibernation. So this time I copied a file to the NTFS partition and did a complete shutdown from linux. Now both windows and linux are in shutdown state, none in hibernation. I booted into windows, the file is again gone.

Then I checked into this folder Found.000. And one of my missing files is here. This prompted me to check if M$ has found a new way to keep (force) people away from linux. I found somewhere on the web that by default in Win7 the check disk utility checks for file system consistency at each boot (I think it would just check for either time stamps or directory structure).

So for now I have disabled automatic disk checking in Windows. Will do a few more test boots to see it solves the problem. Thanks again.

Edit: Few test reboots and all seems fine. Its a windows problem.

Last edited by shemz (2010-05-04 21:43:29)

Board footer