You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-05 15:46:58

swankster

unable to install grub

Hello everyone,

The other day I tried installing grub-gtk which ended up messing up my system to the point of not loading. I would get the grub screen, but when I tried to load the system, it would bitch about not being able to load /dev/sda3, which is my /var. I figured this was some kind of issue related to how I had setup grub-gtk... I tried going into a live cd to mount the system, reinstall regular grub and then revert to my backed up grub menu.lst; however, I couldn't seem to mount my boot partition properly... it would never show anything in the folders even though it was telling me it successfully booted /dev/sda1.

I decided then to reinstall the whole system (only overwriting /dev/sda1 for boot, and simply setting the mount points on the other partitions. The install seemed to go fine until I got to the point of installing grub, it would tell me that it failed and grub was already installed. I rebooted and was given a grub error 15.

I've been spending the morning googling around trying to figure this out on my own but I haven't had much luck so far. I was hoping someone here might be able to point me in the direction of what I need to do.

My partition scheme is
/dev/sda1 = ext2 /boot
/dev/sda2 = ext4 /
/dev/sda3 = reiser /var
/dev/sda5 = swap
/dev/sda6 = ext4 /home

Cheers,
Tim

#2 2010-05-06 08:24:46

grey

Re: unable to install grub

Use the grub shell. First find the kernel, initrd and menu.lst. Then boot from the shell. Example:

grub> find /vmlinuz26
 (hd0,1)
grub> find /grub/menu.lst
 (hd0,1)
grub> find (hd0,4)/<TAB>
 Possible files are: lost+found lib64 dev sys media bin home lib usr root etc opt pro
c tmp srv mnt boot sbin var .kde4 .directory

Once you figured out how grub sees your files, boot from the grub shell using the same options as in your menu.lst:

grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> kernel (hd0,1)/vmlinuz26 root=...
grub> initrd ...
grub> boot

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

Board footer