You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-04 23:57:19

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

[reinstalled]Resized with gparted, UUID unchanged, boot goes to grub

Hi all,

So I was running out of space, and I figured to remove my Ubuntu partition (its the 2nd last partition just before swap). To extend my data partition I would have to move my / and /home partition over, then extend the data partition. Which I did, and it didn't take much tweaking.

Of course, since I moved (instead of changing) my / and /home partition, their UUIDs didn't change.

However now I have an unbootable Arch. I do have a separate boot partition, which just chainloads either Windows Vista (came with laptop, I'm running it now) or my Arch/Buntu(scratch the Buntu) installs. It chainloads fine, but just drops to grub.

When in grub, if I try to run find or root (hd0,5) it just hangs. When I boot to parted magic and try to run grub, find and root (hd0,5) also hangs, with 50% CPU usage (dual core).

I'm not sure what to try. blkid and fdisk -l confirm that my partitions do exist where they're supposed to, and don't seem to throw up any errors. Weired that I can't even get the kernel to attempt to boot, and that I can't seem to run anything on those partitions from grub. They're ext4, by the way.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited by ngoonee (2010-05-05 18:41:31)

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#2 2010-05-05 07:50:43

grey

Re: [reinstalled]Resized with gparted, UUID unchanged, boot goes to grub

So there is no separate boot partition and the .../grub/*stage* files are on an extended partition (hd0,5), right? I thought these files needed to be on a primary partition, or if they are on an extended one, the extended partition must be near the beginning of the disk.

Maybe this is what happened: when you run grub-install (or equivalent), the location of the stage files is stored in the MBR. Now you've moved those files without telling grub, so it cannot find them.

That would explain why you cannot boot, but not why grub's find and root commands hang when you run from the parted magic CD.

Last edited by grey (2010-05-05 07:51:43)

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#3 2010-05-05 09:28:59

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Grub can boot just fine from anywhere on the disk, that's not a problem. I have a separate /boot partition for multi-boot (on my MBR), which chainloads grub on (hd0,5).

Anyway, I figured it was time for a reinstall, so am running that right now.

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#4 2010-05-05 11:40:50

grey

Right: chainloading should work from anywhere on the disk. It's just grub's first root that should be on a primary partition (AFAIK), but if that was elsewhere and you didn't move it, I have no idea what caused the problem.

Well, it's a moot point now anyway. Pity, though: almost all of the grub problems reported on these forums are straightforward. It would have been interesting to look at a real problem for once. Then again, interesting for me =  unbootable system for you.

Good ideas do not need lots of lies told about them in order to gain public acceptance.

#5 2010-05-05 18:40:48

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

grey wrote:

Well, it's a moot point now anyway. Pity, though: almost all of the grub problems reported on these forums are straightforward. It would have been interesting to look at a real problem for once. Then again, interesting for me =  unbootable system for you.

Precisely smile. Thanks for taking a look. System is up and running, since (as far as I can tell) nothing was wrong with the data on the partitions all I had to do was reformat the root partition, reinstall, and move my /etc back in place.

Board footer