You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-07 23:55:26

c008

Question about installing Gnome

Hi all,
I am having a few problems here when it comes to installing Gnome.
I am visually impaired so I rely on speech and braille and in Gnome I'm using the Orca screen reader which is in the gnome-extra package.
I am quite new to Arch and I had to do a reinstall of the system due to some harddisk and partition changes. The first time I had this installed Orca worked just fine but now it's allmost unusable and it's slow.
I have already posted a message onto the Orca users list. But anyway here is what I do.
After I have installed the system and created my user I first install my video card drivers:
pacman -S xf86-video-ati libgl ati-dri
Then I installed xorg and gnome and input-drivers:
pacman -S xorg gnome gnome-extra hal gamin xf86-input-keyboard xf86-input-mouse

Then, I also copied the file from
/usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ and edited that.
I then started hal:
/etc/rc.d/hal start
And at last I started X:
/etc/rc.d/gdm start and logged in as myself and started orca and configured it.
I then logged out and logged back in and orca now becomes sluggish and not working proprely.
So, isn't this correct for installing Gnome?
Any suggestions?
Many thanks!

#2 2010-05-08 03:06:03

Fingel

Re: Question about installing Gnome

Looks ok to me. Have you tried installing the proprietary ATI drivers (catalyst) and see if that makes a difference? I think they have much better video performance than the open source ones.

#3 2010-05-08 14:50:33

c008

Re: Question about installing Gnome

Hi,
I have tried another driver but with no differnce and Orca doesn't rely on video drivers like Windows screen readers. So well, I don't know what to do now.
If you don't mind and have the gnome-extra package installed, try running orca by hitting alt-f2 and type orca and set it up. It should start talking and the questions are quite straight forward.
Log out and log back in and try to navigate the desktop and see if it gets sluggish at your end. Just select to not start orca automatically when you login. Just hit alt-f2 and type orca to start it.
If I cant get this to work again I will have to go back to Debian.
Many thanks!

Board footer