You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-26 19:49:12

gobeav3rs297

"Memory corruption detected in low memory" kernel panic + nvidia video

I just got a nvidia 8400gs 512mb pci video card to use for my media center.  It currently just has a intel 945 gm integrated graphic card on the board.  Anyway i installed in the drivers for nvidia and removed the intel driver, updated the xorg file to use nvidia driver and went into bios to set so that my nvidia pci video card is the primary video card.

I booted up and i'm getting  kernel panic outputs to the screen about "Memory corruption detected in low memory" error, the trace is enormous.  If i take out the nvidia card then everything goes back to normal.  I've done a little research and it every single distro i've tried doesn't get pass the boot stage, always kernel panics, including opensuse ubuntu and arch.

I thought maybe i didn't set the nvidia card to be the primary video card so it could have been that the intel 945gm was taking up the address space for memory but I rechecked and that's not the issue.

Any idea as to why i can't get pass boot when using the nvidia card?  I just got it last night.

thanks,
Vincent

#2 2010-05-07 22:22:11

pscott

Re: "Memory corruption detected in low memory" kernel panic + nvidia video

Have you had any luck with this? I'm having this issue on a Dell Dimension 2350 with an onboard Intel card and an nVidia GeForce 9400 GT. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

FWIW:
Kubuntu 10.04
2.6.32-17-generic

#3 2010-05-07 22:46:58

gobeav3rs297

yea i did, totally forgot to post back the solution.

what was happening was that the intel driver for the discreet graphic card was taking up the memory location within the agpgart location so the nvidia driver never had the memory to initialized itself when loaded hence kernel panic.

what I did then was remove the intel driver from being loaded in the rc.conf and added a command within the kernel exec line, though currently i totally forgot the command, I think it was agp=off or something like that.

I'm currently at work but will reply with the answer once i get home.

-vincent

#4 2010-05-08 01:00:09

gobeav3rs297

what i did was added teh following to the kernel boot line in my /boot/grub/menu.lst

# (0) Arch Linux
title  Arch Linux
root   (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/42c1d2f5-3e4d-4ed3-ab45-726b3d277ad6 ro agp=off vga=791
initrd /kernel26.img

and also blacklisted the intel_agp driver module

I don't know the process for blackisting a module in ubuntu but with arch, i do the following in /etc/rc.conf

MOD_AUTOLOAD="no"
MODULES=(button processor thermal agpgart !intel-agp intel-rng lp ppdev tpm_bios tpm tpm_tis tpm_tis hid i2c-i801 i2c-core evdev pcspkr serio_raw led-class leds-ss4200 parport parport_pc pci_hotplug shpchp rtc-cmos rtc-core rtc-lib nvidia iTCO_vendor_support iTCO_wdt snd-mixer-oss snd-pcm-oss snd-hwdep snd snd-page-alloc snd-pcm snd-timer snd-hda-codec snd-hda-intel soundcore scsi_mod ata_piix mii ppp_generic r8169 slhc usbhid usbcore ehci-hcd uhci-hcd sd_mod st)

Hope this will help you.

--vincent

#5 2010-05-08 01:49:20

pscott

Vincent,

Blacklisting intel_agp did the trick. Thanks SO much for your help!

#6 2010-05-08 16:41:23

gobeav3rs297

No prob.  I'll just put this as SOLVED like i should i've done awhile ago haha smile

...now if i can solve how to edit the title to put the word SOLVED in because it doesn't seem to let me edit the post title

-Vincent

Last edited by gobeav3rs297 (2010-05-08 16:47:51)

Board footer