You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-21 20:44:16

MNKyDeth

Package modify request for flashplayer

I have been doing some messing around and havn't ready anywhere if this was in the works or not. But, I was trying out Opera web browser from the repos and noticed some small things about it right off that did not work.

I was just surfing the web and noticed none of my flash stuff was working. I tried to re-download the flashplugin and it went without problems. Surfed the same page and it still was missing flash. I mean this is an extrememly easy fix mind you. But I was wondering if there were or are any plans on adding flash to opera from the Arch package of flash.

Java seems to work without a hitch aswell. I was also wondering if mplayer-plugin support would be added to it or if we would have to do this on our own?

Granted, this is me asking for better support for the opera browser as I personally am liking it better than Firefox at the moment.

#2 2005-03-21 21:02:50

lucke

Re: Package modify request for flashplayer

I have no problems with opera and flash. All works just fine with genuine arch flashplugin package.

mplayerplug-in is a different story though. It needs to be recompiled with --enable-x parameter. But this implementation, more or less, sucks, I don't even see any control panel while using it. Therefore, don't count on this getting into arch repos - current, genuine build seems to work utterly properly with firefox, with control panel and stuff (at least that's what I remember from my research :-)), nobody's gonna place an 'incomplete' build in the repos.

BTW - did you experience a major increase of opera's launching time after upgrade to Beta 2?

#3 2005-03-21 21:19:53

MNKyDeth

Actually beta2 is the first version of Opera I ever used lol.

Hmm, about the flash plugin though. I eventually pacman -R the plugin and re-installed it fresh but it still doesn't work for me. I had to goto macromedia's site and grab it and do an install that way with there package.

The site I was having problems with was www.anandtech.com granted it is just ads that the flash is doing, but it wouldn't show the ads even. It would show the ads just fine after I did the manual install of flash though.

FYI, Opera does start up nice and fast for me. For some reason the text is way easier for me to read aswell. I am still running the free version but have been considering buying it so I can get rid of the ad in the upper right corner. I have yet to test all the features in the browser yet to satisfy wether or not I am going to though.

#4 2005-03-21 21:35:35

lucke

Yay. Just upgraded to Beta 3 (using the mighty and fearsome ABS, yarr) and it launches up quickly again.

As for flashplugin - did you check the plugins settings somewhere in the preferences dialog? Maybe just /opt/mozilla-plugins/ wasn't in the search path.

As for sticking to Opera - I've been using it for a couple of years and I can't say a bad word about it. The only disadvantage which I see is that ad banner in unregistered version (well, and maybe that somewhat 'broken' mplayerplug-in) - but it isn't that annoying in google mode (or whatever the name) and Opera's capabilities seem to recompense it well enough. Sure, I guess I could get the same with firefox and its plugins - but I'm not gonna spend hours seeking appropriate plugins, if I have it all already in Opera :-) And I'm not gonna do it every time I reinstall my OS or set up a webbrowser on other PC.

Board footer