You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-08 03:13:43

pottzie

[solved]First time installing: Blank screen after downloading

Following the instructions at :
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beg … e_Arch_Way
After downloading the packages, as per "D: Select Packages," the screen shows the packages being downloaded, then goes to a blank screen. I ran it the first time and thought something went wrong, so I reinstalled, got to the part where I downloaded, used a different mirror in case that was the reason, and pretty much the same thing. I'm letting it go and waiting to see if it does anything, but it's been an hour now, and I have no idea what's the normal process, so other than waiting, what should happen?

Last edited by pottzie (2010-05-09 16:10:44)

#2 2010-05-08 05:18:43

Fingel

Re: [solved]First time installing: Blank screen after downloading

That is for sure not normal. Does the computer respond to any input? For example can you press ctrl+alt f2 or f3 to get to different terminal?

#3 2010-05-08 07:15:51

oew

Just press any key to disable the screensaver.

there's no place like ~/

#4 2010-05-09 04:11:46

pottzie

It worked, it was the screen saver. Now I'm hung up at configuring the system. The screen showed the first  option after choosing the text editor, probably   "/etc/rc.conf," so I opened it, and was lost as to what I should do. The defaults seemed fine, but I couldn't figure out how to either accept what was shown, or exit back to the previous screen to proceed, so I hit "alt 1"
That took me back to the beginning! Bet that isn't what I was supposed to do! What did I miss, and how do I get past this to get to the next thing I'll inevitably screw up?

Edit!- Pressing" alt 1" again got me back to the "etc/rc.conf'" screen, so I didn't hose the whole shebang! Now how do I accept, and/or exit to get on to the next screen?

Last edited by pottzie (2010-05-09 04:15:35)

#5 2010-05-09 04:22:22

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

First, you read the Beginner's Guide section on configuring your system thoroughly. Then, you google how to use vi/nano/joe to edit those files - if they require it...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#6 2010-05-09 04:28:19

pottzie

Yeah, it's what I've been using. The only edit I see might be the hostname,as I'm also checking out http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/FAQ
Do I need to do that now, or wait 'till after the first boot? Looks like I'm asked there to set root's password.
Still don't see how to exit the file. didn't see anything to change, as far as editing goes.

Edit,again= Hey, that Google thing works! That doohickey^ means hit the control key, awright! Thanks.

Last edited by pottzie (2010-05-09 04:35:02)

#7 2010-05-09 04:33:16

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

You need to follow the Guide closely - and that includes setting your hostname and some other options in your /etc/rc.conf...

As for exiting the file, that all depends on the editor you have used to open it in the first place.

#8 2010-05-09 05:39:01

pottzie

I'm at the reboot now. It failed, saying that /dev/hda3 superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 file system.
I didn't set a host name. When I was at etc/rc.conf, there was a place with < hostname>, and after I thought about it, that should have been the place to put it. But there was a comment saying that I needed to do it in Hostname, and if i remeber, Hostname looked like:

#
# Hostname
#

I guess that because I didn't see the <> brackets, I passed on it. Maybe it was so simple I made it complicated.Don't know if that has anything to do with the error, or if i just ran into the first error and there will be more once i get past this.
At least it booted! I'm happy it worked!

#9 2010-05-09 06:14:26

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

pottzie wrote:

or if i just ran into the first error and there will be more once i get past this.

Welcome to Arch!

(Can you please edit the OP and prepend [SOLVED] to the title? Makes it easy for those that come after you...)

Board footer