You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-09 18:53:55

Chance

Dual booting: Partition drives first with Arch?

If i want a dual boot with XP and Arch, do I use Arch to clear out the harddrive, then partition the drives, and then install XP first on the partition I want before installing Arch afterwards?

This is my first time trying to run a dual boot system so I'm clueless at how to start. The wiki doesn't really have a step by step instruction...

#2 2010-05-09 19:48:34

ancient_archer

Re: Dual booting: Partition drives first with Arch?

Hello.

When you want to completely erase your disk, you might do that as you described.

So, here are the steps:
1) boot arch linux installation cd and then instead of typing /arch/setup, run cfdisk first in order to delete the disk
2) then I suggest to install Windows XP first (you may create in the installation program partition of the size you want)
3) After you had installed Win XP, run cfdisk from Arch installation CD again and create from free space partitions you want.
I suggest creating 3 Linux partitions:
a) swap at about 1 GB max. (depends on what you do), but should be well enough
b) 20 GB ext4 partition - it'll be more than enough for / (system) - you might also choose ext3 if you want to be supersafe, but I think that there should be no reasonable worry about ext4
c) XX GB ext4 partition - for your /home - to store your documents etc. Also, when it happens that your system becomes corrupted, you just reinstall the system and you have all your documents there...
d) XX GB XFS partition - for your multimedia or large files - mp3s, ISO files, videos and other large files you might have

And remember... backup your most important documents frequently... I use e.g. DVD-RW for that...

4) Print beginner's guide and follow it to install Arch linux 
5) Then, of course, run /arch/setup... You don't have to partition the disk, just set up mount points and when asked do you want to recreate the filesystem?, hit no - or you may recreate it if you want

Sorry if this was a bit too detailed... I don't want to underestimate you at all, but don't know how much experience with Arch you have...

#3 2010-05-09 20:39:13

Chance

Thanks for the reply. I'm experienced with Arch enough to know the installation process for Arch. I just didn't know anything when it came to dual booting.

Right now i'm installed Windows on a 40gb partition. With the windows cd, I created two partitions, one for Windows itself, and the other i left 120gb. I'm hoping with the Arch cd i'll be able to partition that free space and install Arch on it.

#4 2010-05-09 20:51:24

demian

If you don't have much experience with partitioning you might want to burn gparted or partedmagic to CD and partition the drive to your liking. Of course you can use [c]fdisk too but it's less intuitive.
Then proceed as described by ancient_archer:
1. install windows
2. install arch
3. ???
4. profit

Last edited by demian (2010-05-09 20:52:25)

no place like /home
github

#5 2010-05-09 21:01:09

Kooothor

ktr

#6 2010-05-09 22:32:12

ancient_archer

I'm sure that Arch install CD will be able to partition the free space. Just hit Prepard hard drive and Partition hard drive when it's time. Arch installation CD uses cfdisk which is not as friendly as e.g. Gparted but you shouldn't have greater difficulties with that.

In any case, here is a nice Arch installation guide with pivtures in case you hit some problems...
http://www.raiden.net/articles/arch_lin … n_guide/2/

Board footer