#1 2010-04-24 01:58:03

Marnop

CD iso install fails at Configure - network settings

I burned a core-iso CD.
The core-iso worked until April 21 when it failed at Configure with the message
      Automatic network settings propagation failed
      Failed to input current network settings
I couldn't continue with the install.
rc.conf and the conf files are empty at this point.

Thinking it might be a bad disk I downloaded another core-iso and a netinstall.iso.
They both have the same message at the same place.
Before install it set up etho with dhcp and there was no problem with the installs.

I am trying to install a dual boot with Ubuntu 9.10 on an old Dell Inspiron 9300.
The Ubuntu has been working fine for 2 months.

How do I install Arch?

#2 2010-05-09 23:57:24

Marnop

Re: CD iso install fails at Configure - network settings

My DVD drive was the problem and apparently corrupted the hard drive.
I replaced the DVD drive, formatted and partitioned the hard drive and installed arch with no problems.

I still haven't been able to dual boot with Ubuntu 9.10 which defaults to grub 2 on install.
I have been on the ubuntu forum for a while with no success so far. I think grub 2 is a complicated mess. But that is another subject.

#3 2010-05-10 02:51:44

pottzie

I went through this a month or so ago, with Mint (same grub2) and Fedora. The Fedora forum spent about a week or so on it.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthrea … ight=grub2

The answer (on the last page of this link) came when someone realized that grub2 could update itself from the Mint terminal using a simple command.
The magic happened when someone pointed out that "there is something called Startup Manager for Ubuntu."
and after logging in to Mint as root and entering:

sudo apt-get install startupmanager

Suddenly the sky brightened and the sea parted and we walked across on dry land, living happily ever after. Skip all the grief, go to page 6

I was told that every time there was a kernel update, I'd have to run " sudo update-grub", but as far as I can tell it works alright the way it's set now.
Hope this helps. Grub2 installs real nice, but sure causes headaches when there's more than one OS-especially other linux's!
Bye the way, this was a triple boot, with OpenSUSE thrown in for good measure. Grub2 recognized OpenSUSE with no problems. Why OpenSUSE and not Fedora? Nobody knows!

#4 2010-05-10 03:06:18

Marnop

Thanks for your post pottzie but it came at the same time as the following I sent to the ubuntu forum:

Re: Grub or Grub2? - dual boot Ubuntu 9.10 and Arch
Finally! A dual boot with ubuntu 9.10 and arch.

I reinstalled ubuntu with a format of /boot, /dev/sda1.
I did nothing else but reboot and the menu showed the correct arch line and it booted. Another reboot and it was back in ubuntu.

I guess the secret is a clean install of arch first in its own default boot partition and ubuntu into a separate boot partition.

Board footer