You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-10 19:37:21

wonnageek

network seems to work, browser does not

Hi there,

After some time with Ubuntu I downloaded an Arch Live CD as it is said that this is a very good distro to learn a lot about it.

I'm in live-mode. IWCD works as I would expect and after entering the encryption key it says I have good signal strength and am connected using DHCP. However, firefox can't connect. I tried to connect by wire and get the same result: IWCD says i am connected, firefox thinks the opposite. Ifconfig shows both my wireless and wired interface correctly. Now I am clueless!?

Thanks
w.

#2 2010-05-10 19:49:29

cesura
Package Maintainer (PM)

Re: network seems to work, browser does not

Can you try using either one:

links www.google.com
ping -l 1 www.google.com

to see if it gets any response

#3 2010-05-10 22:37:02

wonnageek

Solved smile Thanks! Is dhclient preferable to dhcpcd?

1. ping works and I receive packages.
2. I found this thread* at Suse, It advises someone with the same problem to try a static DNS config, using Google's nameserver at 8.8.8.8. Entering this in Wicd, firefox works in live-arch.
3.Figuring that DHCP doesn't work, I played around with Wicd settings and went to "External Programs", changing DHCP-client from "automatic" (like I used to have in Ubuntu) to "dhcpcd". Now dhcp works with live-arch and firefox displays pages.
4. In Ubuntu they install dhclient by default and it seems to work with wicd set to automatic where dhcpcd does not!?

http://forums.opensuse.org/get-help-her … nnect.html

#4 2010-05-10 23:32:06

schen

It really depends on what works with your hardware. Remember to put a [solved] thing at the beginning of the title.

Board footer