You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-10 23:21:03

mathfeel

empathy: no edit account dialog

I just installed empathy and some protocols, but when I try to add account using Edit->Accounts there is no dialog that comes up.  What gives?  I launched from terminal and there is not error msg on terminal.

Anyone?

Cheers!

M

#2 2010-05-10 23:37:23

schen

Re: empathy: no edit account dialog

Try using pidgin. I'm not a big expert on instant messaging things, but my friend uses pidgin, and it works perfectly.

#3 2010-05-11 00:14:52

mythus
Website

Make sure you have all telepathy backends. I had that problem, getting the telepathy backends and then restarting solved it for me.

Pidgin is ok  yeah, but I have been playing with empathy lately and I find I like it better than pidgin. It is missing certain things, like blocking accounts... but is much more integrated and uses adium themes. Works great IMO, YRMV I guess.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#4 2010-05-11 00:16:03

bwat47

I installed the backends and it let me add accounts but cant login to them at all, I instantly get "network error" pidgin works fine but the bug where the tray icon has a grey bg is pissing me off.

#5 2010-05-11 00:42:53

mathfeel

mythus wrote:

Make sure you have all telepathy backends. I had that problem, getting the telepathy backends and then restarting solved it for me.

Pidgin is ok  yeah, but I have been playing with empathy lately and I find I like it better than pidgin. It is missing certain things, like blocking accounts... but is much more integrated and uses adium themes. Works great IMO, YRMV I guess.

What packages constitutes "all the backends"? Is it necessary to install protocols that I don't need?

I do find empathy to be lighter and more integrated than pidgin also.

Cheers!

M

#6 2010-05-11 00:56:32

bwat47

mathfeel wrote:
mythus wrote:

What packages constitutes "all the backends"? Is it necessary to install protocols that I don't need?

I do find empathy to be lighter and more integrated than pidgin also.

I initially had the same problem with you and only installed the ones I needed (haze for pidgin protocols ad butterfly for msn) and it let me create accounts but they dont login as mentioned above sad

pacman -Ss telepathy

To list the backends you can isntall

Last edited by bwat47 (2010-05-11 00:57:24)

#7 2010-05-11 01:03:29

mathfeel

$ pacman -Ss empathy
extra/empathy 2.30.1-1 (gnome-extra)
    A GNOME instant messaging client using the Telepathy framework.

But I already installed this package.

Cheers!

M

#8 2010-05-11 01:09:28

bwat47

You need to search for telepathy, not empathy for the backends though. empathy is basically just the gui, you have no protocols installed.
screenshothu.png

Last edited by bwat47 (2010-05-11 01:13:08)

#9 2010-05-11 07:18:16

Butcher

I installed telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble (for MSN and Jabber) but Edit -> Accounts won't open sad

#10 2010-05-11 10:59:48

mythus
Website

mathfeel, you need at least one telepathy protocol for empathy to work. If you are using the primary protocols (aim, yahoo, etc) that pidgin also uses, telepathy-haze would suffice. If you want msn, telepathy-butterfly. There are other protocolsas well. As stated before, empathy is simply the client that uses telepathy... but ou have to have telepahty to use empathy.

Bwat, what protocol is giving you trouble? I remember having it to start with myself.
If it is MSN try running in console killall telepathy-butterfly then restarting empathy. That solved it for me with MSN, and may need to be done with you as well.

MSN

Problem: Error message "Network Error"

Possible Solution:

Kill the running process called telepathy-butterfly and reconnect the account by unchecking and re-checking the box under Edit->Accounts. For example:

killall telepathy-butterfly

taken from the Empathy page on gnome-live.

For AIM problems, this thread helped me.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 73#p724173

Everything else worked without a hitch. BTW, MSN problems come from MSN. They have in their EULA not to use Windows Live accounts with basically any other messengers than theirs. AIM, well that is actually a bug carried over from pidgin, just in pidgin the work around is already in place.

Legends of Nor'Ova - role playing community devoted to quality forum-based and table-top role play, home of the Legends of Nor'Ova Core Rule Book and Legends of Nor'Ova: Saga of Ablution steam punk like forum based RPG

#11 2010-05-11 11:00:44

mythus
Website

Did you restart empathy or your gnome session?

#12 2010-05-11 13:35:31

mathfeel

Butcher wrote:

I installed telepathy-butterfly telepathy-gabble (for MSN and Jabber) but Edit -> Accounts won't open sad

I also installed these two. Same thing...

Then I forgot about it and went about my day. After a computer restart, it now works!!

Last edited by mathfeel (2010-05-11 13:38:33)

Cheers!

M

#13 2010-05-11 15:10:24

bwat47

mythus wrote:

mathfeel, you need at least one telepathy protocol for empathy to work. If you are using the primary protocols (aim, yahoo, etc) that pidgin also uses, telepathy-haze would suffice. If you want msn, telepathy-butterfly. There are other protocolsas well. As stated before, empathy is simply the client that uses telepathy... but ou have to have telepahty to use empathy.

Bwat, what protocol is giving you trouble? I remember having it to start with myself.
If it is MSN try running in console killall telepathy-butterfly then restarting empathy. That solved it for me with MSN, and may need to be done with you as well.

MSN

Problem: Error message "Network Error"

Possible Solution:

Kill the running process called telepathy-butterfly and reconnect the account by unchecking and re-checking the box under Edit->Accounts. For example:

killall telepathy-butterfly

taken from the Empathy page on gnome-live.

For AIM problems, this thread helped me.
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php? … 73#p724173

Everything else worked without a hitch. BTW, MSN problems come from MSN. They have in their EULA not to use Windows Live accounts with basically any other messengers than theirs. AIM, well that is actually a bug carried over from pidgin, just in pidgin the work around is already in place.

Both aim and msn instantly give network error for me. Killall telepathy-butterfly says no process found, and killall telepathy-haze works but doesnt fix my issue. I have restarted multiple times.

EDIT: I got msn to work somehow but aim still gives instant error.
EDIT: fixed my issue, thanks (empathy should really implement a checkbox for this, jeez)

mc-tool update haze/aim/accountname bool:use-clientlogin=false

Last edited by bwat47 (2010-05-11 15:33:29)

#14 2010-05-11 23:44:01

mythus
Website

Haha yes I agree they should, and I suspect in time they will. Empathy AFAIK is a newer project than pidgin and with a smaller team, but it is coming along nicely. It is already a leaps and bounds better than it was a year ago. However being a gnome project, gnome may just say "users don't need check boxes to confuse them! "

But anyways, pidgin is a pain, it's webkit plugin never seems to work right, yet empathy works fine with adium themes (many of them anyways, they have a list saying which ones work best). And I dunno, there is something I like about only installing the backends I need, with the ability for developers to make new backends with telepathy. Plus it is very well integrated in GNOME at least.

Board footer