You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-21 22:44:53

incinerator

[Fake News] Arch Linux to change its release cycle

Today the Arch Linux community proclaimed that Arch Linux will change its release cycle and version numbering, as this was requested by billions of corporate goonies, Freemasons and Illuminati throughout the universe.

Releases will henceforth be scheduled in intervals deemed posh by the GNU/Linux community at the particular moment. The version numbering will be based on year the a new release is being published. Arch Linux "2016" will be released in early 2006. All following releases will have an offset of at least 10 years to underline how much more pure dead brilliant Arch Linux is compared to Mandrake.

To achieve a smooth transition, an transitional release will be made at once, named "Useless Marketing Edition". The Arch Linux FTP server will be configured allow one download of the iso image only. This will also be an experiment to find out how the community will be able to spread such a limited edition.

An Arch Linux user who wishes to remain nameless said in an exclusive interview with the almighty incinerator: "This is a great opportunity for Arch Linux, the new release numbering will confuse and divert computer illiterate lusers from installing our beloved Arch Linux, freeing us from answering stupid support requests. Now we can finally start to work towards our ultimate goal: To become the only GNU/Linux community being as elitist as OpenBSD's."

#2 2005-03-21 23:48:17

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

Re: [Fake News] Arch Linux to change its release cycle

Shoulda saved it for April 1...

#3 2005-03-22 07:59:49

Arn0

You mean this isnt ark linux?

Whenever you are asked if you can do a job, tell 'em, 'Certainly I can!' Then get busy and find out how to do it.

#4 2005-03-22 09:19:36

incinerator

Dusty wrote:

Shoulda saved it for April 1...

I reckoned immediate action was necessary.

#5 2005-03-22 09:50:39

dp
Website

what about recycling numbers?

0.1->0.2->0.3->0.4->0.5->0.6->0.7->0.8->0.9->0.1->0.2->...

or even introduce a trigonometrial function that generates them

or what about irrational numbers? 0.7+0.1i

The impossible missions are the only ones which succeed.

#6 2005-03-22 11:09:49

cmp

much like the amd guys do it with ther processors:
0.7 <== the real arch version
0.1i <== the step arch is in front of others wink

#7 2005-03-22 11:36:40

arooaroo
Website

dp wrote:

what about recycling numbers?

0.1->0.2->0.3->0.4->0.5->0.6->0.7->0.8->0.9->0.1->0.2->...

or even introduce a trigonometrial function that generates them

Reminds me of Tex: "Since version 3, updates have been indicated by adding an extra digit at the end of the decimal, so that the version number asymptotically approaches Pi" (wikipedia)

#8 2005-03-22 13:33:55

incinerator

Ach guys, you don't get it :-(

The version numbering scheme was supposed to mock the fact Mandrake plans to release their "2006" version in 2005. That reminds of old times, when (computer) magazines were trying to beat each other releasing the most up-to-date issue to the market. The whole affair became absolutely silly, there were magazines that had the "April" issue hitting the shelves at the end of January. These "issue number wars" occur every now and then.

The funny scenario I can imagine is that other (GNU/Linux) vendors could jump onto that train and "predating" their releases further and further.

The rest is just various mockery about lusers and other things found in the Mandrake's press release. And of course the arrogantly elitist OpenBSD community always deserves getting their arses whipped ;-)

#9 2005-03-22 13:43:52

incinerator

dp wrote:

I would not fancy these numbers, as the second part of the number is called the "imaginary" part. I'd say the advantage we have over other GNU/Linux distros is not only imaginary, is it? Therefore such a numbering scheme is much to humble and not elitist enough.

A really cool way to present version numbers in would be lambda calculus.
See here for a proper description.

Board footer