You are not logged in.

#1 2005-03-01 16:35:01

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

quality c++ libraries

when using C++ (my first love), I don't nessecarilly like to use too much C code.  For instance, I dislike calling pthread calls directly and BSD sockets, and things like that.  I'll use raw C if I want to do that.

Anyone know any good C++ wrappers for this sort of thing?

stlsoft ( http://stlsoft.org ) is good, and it's a "header only" setup similar to the STL, which I like.  However, alot of it's sub-libraries are Win32 specific... more unix/linux stuff is forthcoming.

Mainly, I'm looking for good, widespread threading and socket libraries.  And no, I don't really like boost, as it's way to difficult to redistribute right now...

Also, if anyone knows any good libraries for other things, post them here, as I always find this crap interesting

#2 2005-03-02 05:12:35

cjdj

Re: quality c++ libraries

I have my own little library that I have developed over the years.  It has threading and socket wrappers.

Over the last year I've revamped it a bit, and added stuff, as well as released it under a GPL licence.

Since I use it for my own development, I've even created a basic pacman package for it  (although the next release is almost ready to go).   
http://cjdj.org/arch/pkg/devplus-0.1.35-4.pkg.tar.gz

Its a library that you compile in with your code, rather than a symbolic library.  But should be easy enough. 

You can get it at:
http://www.cjdj.org/products/devplus

Just last week I started writing a developers guide for it, because several other people are using it now.   So the next version 0.1.36 which is ready to release will have a manual as soon as I finish writing it.

I've also written some example applications.  I'm not quite ready to upload everything to the webserver yet, but if you're interested I can send it all to you.

I havent compiled it on windows for a while now but it should still work because it was originally written for VisualStudio 6.0.  If you compile it on windows, it will use windows threading, if you compile it on linux, it will use pthread.

It doesnt attempt to do any gui stuff.  Its basically threading, read-write mutex, sockets, database (MySql), and a few other things.

The read-write mutex (DpReadWriteLock class) I'm rather proud of.  It works in a similar manner to CCriticalSection if your used to that, but allows you to set a normal Write lock, or multiple Read locks which can be useful for some applications which have lots of threads accessing an object for reading, but occassionally a thread writing to that object.

#3 2005-03-02 16:00:47

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah, you know I debated writing my own library because nothing really fits what I like... stlsoft is exactly what I'm looking for, but doesn't have threading and sockets, which is really important.

I enjoy the 'header only' libraries... so you don't need to distribute this stuff with the application and it really doesn't add that much space.  Also, my personal naming scheme is stl_style_or_unix_style (all lowercase, using underscores)...

Anyway, maybe I'll try and write some stlsoft extensions, I already spoke with the head developer through email and he stated he was going to begin making more *nix stuff

#4 2005-03-03 10:34:17

incinerator

#5 2005-03-03 16:06:18

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

incinerator wrote:

yeah, GNU Common C++ is cool, but it's a bit too java-esque for me... I'll probably use it a bit and see what I think

#6 2005-03-03 17:06:40

incinerator

Well, if you really want high-level threading why don't you use Ada? In Ada multithreading is so high-level it is part of language itself and not a glued-on threading library.

Look up the Ada Reference Manual - Section 9 for details.

Cheers,
Dominik[/url]

#7 2005-03-03 19:11:45

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

heh. everytime I hear about ada, I think of one professor I had for compiler theory. He worked on the intel ada compiler for something like 5 years.
tongue

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#8 2005-03-22 12:45:24

STiAT

Netxx is a nice cross plattform c++ socket wrapper.

Also i would suggest you to take a look at boost, for instance, a quite complete and good c++ wrapper for many things (sockets, threads, ..).

// STi

Ability is nothing without opportunity.

#9 2005-03-22 13:51:54

phrakture
Arch Overlord
Website

yeah boost is cool, but it's always a mess to install... the use their own install (bjam) and don't provide things like pkc-config scripts.... sigh

Board footer