You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-11 12:15:30

frank56

Solved/etc/rc.d/hal start permissions denied message

I am trying to follow the beginners guide. I got sound going. I am n now trying to get video going. I am under step, THE HAL, daemon. When I type /etc/rc.d/hal start, I get '"Permissions denied", That is the complete message.

The next step, "Disable input hotplugging" may be contributing to my problem. I was confused, since hal needs hotplugging, why is it included in the section where you need hotplugging enabled. Any way, I went ahead and followed that step, assuming it was a needed step for the previous. I have tried various web searches and searched this sight, but none seem to relate to my specific problem, or my search skills are not up to par. Frank

Solved by chmod 755 hal. Now I can move on to next problem. Frank

Last edited by frank56 (2010-05-13 10:53:37)

#2 2010-05-11 12:28:37

hokasch

Re: Solved/etc/rc.d/hal start permissions denied message

You are confusing something. Hal does not "need" hotplugging, it is part of it.
Daemons must be started as root.

#3 2010-05-11 12:39:33

frank56

hokasch wrote:

You are confusing something. Hal does not "need" hotplugging, it is part of it.
Daemons must be started as root.

I am logged in as root when I input the command and get the message. When I cd /etc/rc.d then ls-l for hal specifically I get   -rw-rw-rw 1 root root. If I am interpreting this correctly, root does not have execute file permissions, but most others on same screen do. Frank

#4 2010-05-11 13:21:27

Surgat_

Your file doesn't have the correct permissions. Actually, if you 'pacman -S hal' again, pacman will probably warn you that its permissions are wrong. This is how it looks here:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1,2K mar  7 14:40 hal

I'd suggest to chmod 755 it and then reinstall the package to make sure no one has modified it (it had write permission for all users... O_o)

#5 2010-05-11 15:29:12

falconindy
Developer
Website

frank56 wrote:

The next step, "Disable input hotplugging" may be contributing to my problem. I was confused, since hal needs hotplugging, why is it included in the section where you need hotplugging enabled. Any way, I went ahead and followed that step, assuming it was a needed step for the previous. I have tried various web searches and searched this sight, but none seem to relate to my specific problem, or my search skills are not up to par. Frank

I think you're confusing "the next step" with something that should be more clearly labelled as an alternative to HAL.

#6 2010-05-13 10:51:53

frank56

Surgat_ wrote:

Your file doesn't have the correct permissions. Actually, if you 'pacman -S hal' again, pacman will probably warn you that its permissions are wrong. This is how it looks here:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1,2K mar  7 14:40 hal

I'd suggest to chmod 755 it and then reinstall the package to make sure no one has modified it (it had write permission for all users... O_o)

Thanks everyone.  I still don't have X running, but I got rid of that error message. I chmod 755 hal.

Board footer