You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-09 10:13:45

Gargamel1

[SOLVED] FVWM changes cursor

Hi,

Some time ago I change my cursor to a custom cursor from kde-look. I followed the wiki page at http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/X11_Cursors, and everything seemed to work fine. However, when I move my mouse over certain areas, it changes back to the default X cursor, and when I move it back to the desktop for instance, my custom theme is used again... Some places I have found that change the cursor to default are:
- Title bars of all applications (Firefox, OpenOffice)
- The whole window of some application (Gimp, evince)
- For some applications (like gedit and roxterm) it acts normal on the text screen and the edges (for resizing), but defaults everywhere else (menubar, tab bar, title bar)
- Conky
- Tint2
- Small screenshots on my desktop of minimized applications

I tried all the alternatives mentioned on the wiki, but none of them seem to work. They also do not seem applicable to me as my cursor behaves fine in firefox, etc, as long as I stay away from the title bar. Am I missing some configuration option that should have been set in FVWM or am I still doing something wrong in the X-files, or is it something else?

Thanks

Last edited by Gargamel1 (2010-05-13 13:42:22)

#2 2010-05-09 12:00:36

eirika

Re: [SOLVED] FVWM changes cursor

I think the title bar cursor is controlled by FVWM in your case.

See this:

http://www.fvwm.org/doc/unstable/fvwm/fvwm.man.html#CursorStyle

#3 2010-05-09 17:15:41

Gargamel1

Well I thought of that and even gave it a try, but I am currently running fvwm-patched, and I don't think this version already supports that feature. Will upgrading to 3.5 be the only solution to this or is there some other fix?

Thanks

#4 2010-05-11 08:08:01

ThomasAdam

Gargamel1 wrote:

Well I thought of that and even gave it a try, but I am currently running fvwm-patched, and I don't think this version already supports that feature. Will upgrading to 3.5 be the only solution to this or is there some other fix?

Thanks

This is one of the things most people don't seem to understand, so I'll say it here again:

The cursor is controlled by X11

Yes -- shock horror.  Applications can *REQUEST* a cursor of their own choosing, which is why you see a difference between the cursor *IN* the application (Firefox) as opposed to the window decorations FVWM provides.

CursorStyle might help you, but I suspect more you're referring to needing to use the program "xsetroot".

-- Thomas Adam

#5 2010-05-11 13:19:03

eirika

xsetroot just sets the cursor of the root window. While title bar is requested by FVWM.

#6 2010-05-11 14:04:57

ThomasAdam

eirika wrote:

xsetroot just sets the cursor of the root window. While title bar is requested by FVWM.

Yes.  That's what I said.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

#7 2010-05-13 13:42:03

Gargamel1

Well, I did know the cursor was controlled by X, and I kind of figured it was FVWM mixing things up. Anyway, previous versions of FVWM did have the cursorstyle option, so I used this and everything is fixed now. Thanks!

Board footer