You are not logged in.

#1 2010-05-13 15:08:39

atyde

Mini 311c and trackpad issue

Hello,

I am using Archlinux (installed in late April 2010) on a Compaq Mini 311c (model 1170SF to be precise). The installation went smoothly and everything seemed to work right out the box (wifi, suspend to ram, functions keys). To be honest, I was quite impressed!

However a significant issue appeared with the touchpad. First, it is not recognized as a touchpad but as an "ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse". This problem is not new and is already documented. See for instance:

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=14660

Granted, this is quite annoying as there is thus no way (that I know of) to fine tuned properly the behaviour of the touchpad. But this is not the reason of this post as I could live with it.

The real (and maddening problem) is that the touchpad seems to act more and more erratically as I use it. When I start a session, the touchpad works fine, tapped click are properly registered, grab works okay too. However for reasons that I totally fail to grasp, it seems to degrade slowly as I use the netbook. For example:

- The touchpad gets extremely sensitive (putting a still finger on it
     makes the cursor jumps randomly around)

- Tap-to-click works very, very poorly (I have to hammer the touchpad
     three or four times before a click gets registered)

Weirdly enough, it looks like it improves a bit after putting the netbook to sleep and waking it up. I have not noticed anything particular that could have put the touchpad in such distress. It is really as if it is getting tired and decides to stop functionning properly. :-)

Has anyone already heard of such a problem or am I turning completely crazy? This is really a significant issue as the touchpad get almost unusable after a while (yes, physical trackpad buttons work okay but... well, try to click on an HP Mini 311 button and you'll understand: these things are really loud)

Any help or explanation would be really appreciated!

Thank you,

Atyde

#2 2010-05-20 04:18:08

hurrrtin

Re: Mini 311c and trackpad issue

I had this issue too. But i fixed it by installing xf86-input-synaptics and changing the driver from 'mouse' to 'synaptics' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Hope that helps.

#3 2010-06-05 19:08:22

atyde

Well, this does not really help unfortunately. After a while, the cursor still starts do behave weirdly... :-(

#4 2010-07-20 12:42:03

spupy

hurrrtin wrote:

I had this issue too. But i fixed it by installing xf86-input-synaptics and changing the driver from 'mouse' to 'synaptics' in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Hope that helps.

Do you have HP Mini 311? Care to post you xorg.conf?

There are two types of people in this world - those who can count to 10 by using their fingers, and those who can count to 1023.

Board footer